Why Is The Xr6t So Dead Off The Mark?

Chargin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 11m 30d
Does the edit have any effect on auto kickdown speed? And for that matter, firm up the upshifts?

Can these boxes be "shift kitted" like a 904 or 727 tranny for example?

Yes and Yes, they certainly can.

I've had my 4 speed auto done up with all the fruit by Tony Dominello and let me tell ya this thing shifts about 10 times as fast as a stockie - it SLAMS.

The edit also has the ability to up the line pressures significantly and gets things shifting a bit quicker.

If you really wanna get going off the line, fit a high stall and get an edit tuner build the boost into the power curve real early. Give it 2500 rpm off the line and see what happens. I've only got 330rwkw right now and I need E/T streets to stop it smoking up at any time, in any gear with full throttle. And it still runs a mid 12 on 20" street tyres, spare tyre, full tank of fuel and my weight.

Go for it!! :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 7d

The answer is NO (at least for now) if it is a ZF 6 speed auto trans, as the shifts are managed by the transmission and not the PCM module.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 20d
Ive driven 2 xrt's and both had nothing when you floor it from anything under 30kph. I have a mid 13 sec charger and if I floor that at any time I get instant power and wheelspin at lower speeds, I can do a nice enough burnout fron a standing start without touching the brake pedal at all.

On a test drive I was doing about 40ks then floored it, first second nothing, second second kicks down gets ready, third second ok lets rock. I did this a few times and its always the same, didnt play with doing it in manual mode on the autos though.

Is this a gearbox issue? Have any of you experienced instant power before? Can it be done in an XR6T? I know its not turbo lag but I was a little disappointed when I planted my foot....

Not dissing the car, Im still keen to get one, just wondering...

What motor is in your Charger? What transmission?

The four-speed autos are slow to change. The six-speeds are way better. But you'll never get the instant torque when you floor the throttle like you do with a manual (if you are relying on kickdown). Try shifting the auto manually and you'll find the throttle response far more acceptable.

Remember that the BA is also at least 400kg heavier than the Charger.

EDIT Righto I just see from your other thread that it's a 360, so it would have a torqueflite auto. Very good box but no quicker IMO (unless you've kitted it) to kickdown than the Ford four-speed. The difference you are most likely feeling is simply the smoothness of the torque delivery of the turbo motor compared to the massive low down torque of the Mopar and also the extra weight the BA/BF is lugging around.

• Member For: 21y 6m

IMO Both the N/A and Turbo falcons are dead off the mark because of the 4 valve head design.

There are quite a few engines out there that suffered at the bottom end when they went 4 valve at the factory.

For a four valve to work the best you would want 1 runner per inlet valve instead of the most common arrangement of 1 runner feeding two inlet valves with a huge bowel area. I think one of the Corvettes many years ago had one of their engines designed this way (Honda did the work)

Lets see what the experts have to say????????

Edited by turbotrana

• Member For: 19y 11m 15d

You will find that the 4sp auto gets to 82km/h in first. they dont have much down low but they will stay on boost through gear changes which is an advantage over the manual. Also this lack of torque low in the piece helps me launch without wheel spin. my car makes 265rwkw and runs between 9 and 12psi. I have demolished 2 4 speeds and number 3 is built by Prestons in Melbourne. They do a lot of work on speeding the shifts up, and try to get longevity from the box.

It is hard to smoke up in a straight line in the dry from stand still. I have no stally, but breaks traction on boost in first and chirps into second. the 4 sp is pretty smooth and feels pretty refined which I find takes a little fun out of the power. but my Mrs drives my T around and Im not worried that she will hurt herself, as it gives fair warning that big power is coming if you stand on it.

The manual shifter is good when you are playing around but dosnt really help launch (imo). There is a mad launch technique where the box is placed in 2nd and with 1 foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator. snap it into 1st and brake off. Never done this myself, just heard about it.

Hope there is something useful in that for you.

MG

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 10m

I thought that launch technique only worked in the 6 speed auto when you stall it up in 2nd and then change back to first just as you release the brake