Some Basic Questions

rhump

• Member For: 17y 8m 2d

Hi All,

As you see I am still new to this forum and to aplling mods and/or edits.

From what I have read, there are a few things I can do before really getting too carried away, like intercooler, exhaust system and flash unit. All 3 I plan to do.

I only want to add some power, not going for the Australian record or anything like that.

Here is the question:

1. What Kw's does the stock XR6T start at? I thought it was 245Kw or there abouts.

2. When using a "Flash", is that an edit? If so, who programs the edits and are the "default" ones any good?

3. Which is the better exhaust to go to from stock, the 2.5" or the 3.5"? ps I don't want to look like WRX drivers with the huge exhaust.

4. When "Flashing" the ecu, does this adjust the PSI on the turbo or must that be done manually?

5. True or False? The Intercooler and exhaust changes will NOT affect the New Car warranty.

6. Any good "Tuners" in Townsville?

that's all for now. Any and all advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray.

• Member For: 21y 10m 5d

I'll answer as many as I can:

1. That depends on whether your talking flywheel or rear wheel. The BF series come with 245 at the flywheel or about 200 at the rears give or take a few.

2. The edit get's 'programmed' by a tuner. I wouldn't be going a standard tune but going and getting a custom tune to suit your car. If you are going to use a generic tune, I would be taking it to a tuner to check that AFR's are safe and the like.

4. When flashing the ECU with a custom tune, it will change boost pressure and a whole host of other settings.

5. Like with any modifications, warranty will be out the door. However, in saying that, your warranty for items that aren't affected by the modifications should still be covered.

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 11d

Mate forget the exhaust for now, the standard sytem will run a far bit of power, more than you are going to tune to in the near future.

A flash tuner or EDIT as it is commonally known as is a must, being in townsville a 2nd CAI and a larger intercooler is a must, I would also suggest a K&N filter or the like.

Edit should be able to pick up a second hand one for about $500.00,

K&N about $110.00,

2nd CAI around $80.00 if you cut the holw more if you buy the lower portion of airbox,

Intercooler start from about $500.00, and

A custom tune, not generic, Unknown, you can get some one to put a tune it for you from one of the many recognised tuners all south of where you are, or you can look around up there for a tuner, PM Blonk he may be able to help you out.

Hope that answers some of your questions, I would aim for ROUND 245 RWKW OR THEREABOUTS, will feel awsome.

Scotty

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 19d

Here's my basic plan for a stage 1 tune on the foon:

Edit, Process West Intercooler, Siemens 60lb Injectors, actuator spring, Air Filter, Full exhaust - ok not 100% needed, but I want the car to sound good, and I want to make the most power at the lowest boost. I'm going full house 4" dump, either single 3.5" or twin 2.5", big cat (catco, ballistic, Metal - 4" at least). I'm looking at an easy 300rwkW. Do I need to do fuel pump at this level or just get it done anyway?

Next stage I'll look at plenum, waste gate mod, ebc, whatever else needs to be done to get around 350rwkW. To me that's more than enough for a road car.

• Member For: 17y 8m 5d

Hi Ray,

If you want an edit done in Townsville then go and see Ian from Aitkenvale Auto and Dyno. He is getting the capa tuning software in soon and will be the only place in town that can actually do a custom tune (without sending the flash tuner away).

As soon as the software arrives he's going to give me a call and get my car done :)

Cheers,

Boony

• Member For: 18y 6m 19d

Your other alternative is to see Dave (blueboost here on the forum), he is located in Mackay so you will need to take a drive. But you will find pretty much every T in the north is tuned by Dave, he is a hell of a nice guy and a great tuner.....

Just my 2c

• Member For: 17y 8m 2d
2nd CAI around $80.00 if you cut the holw more if you buy the lower portion of airbox,

HUH???

What is a 2nd CAI??? :spoton:

What does CAI stand for?

Otherwise, thanks guys for that input. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ray

Edited by rhump

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 14d

CAI = Cold Air Intake.

Most people go for the Typhoon 2nd CAI as it looks factory and is a rubber pipe that can be purchased from Ford and goes under the headlight into the airbox.

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 10m 11d
CAI = Cold Air Intake.

Most people go for the Typhoon 2nd CAI as it looks factory and is a rubber pipe that can be purchased from Ford and goes under the headlight into the airbox.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32694

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29311