Jack Collapse - A Warning

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 27d

Scares the s**t out of me. I've never had to use the jack (4/05 purchase), and actually got the thing out for the first time before I drove Sydney-QLD return and couldn't open it. - lol. Threw in a small toolbox just in case I needed to get it out. :spoton:

Maybe its better just throwing it in the bin. On the road in an emergency I would probably stick my head under to have a look....not after reading this. :spoton:

One of my neighbours has the best trolley jack I've ever seen, retired-mechanic, from the 1970's and it is superb. BUT I still use stands as well just in case e.g. one of my kids walks in and decides to say "Dad what happens if I turn this".

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 18y 4m 26d

Well I stupidly used another ford jack from my mate's T as I had no othetr jack to use, first wheel was sweet jacked up changed the wheel ,then jacked it down sweet.

Went around to the other wheel jacked it up sweet changed the wheel, I then just started to screw the nuts on, got them on firm then BANG from full extension the f*cker let go and the car slammed to the ground.

Lucky for me I was aware of these heaps of sh*t and didnt have any part of body under the car.

So since I had 2 wheels left to do I got my sisters jack from her AU, jacked the wheel up and her jacked siezed and wouldnt wind down, so I finally went to my mates house at 11.00 at night and borrowed his trolly jack so I could get the f*cken jack from underneath my car.

So I dont care what anybody else thinks

FORD JACK'S ARE SH*T

P.s just use a trolly jack much safer.

Edited by YPURV4

• Member For: 19y 7m 20d
Is there a better quality jack we can but that will fit in the factory spot?  I've used my jack to change a tyre on the side of the road and we have to use it to lift the car up to get a trolley jack under it when doing other work in a garage.  Seems to be holding up fine but it would be nice to have a better one in the factory spot.

Driving past a couple of houses and in noticed this.... might put a patent n the unique design..

post-6145-1174202129_thumb.jpg

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 18y 4m 26d
Can someone take a pic of the collapsed jack, would like to see which part actually fails

Hey mate,

its the thread that stuff's up, on mine the teeth/thread just strips away so it has nothing to grip to and just slide through the end bit were it threads through to open the jack.

if you get what I mean.

• Sexy Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 20d
Can someone take a pic of the collapsed jack, would like to see which part actually fails

Heres my jack after the incident at the shopping centre... :smilielol:

post-10310-1174285659_thumb.jpg

post-10310-1174285734_thumb.jpg

post-10310-1174285793_thumb.jpg

post-10310-1174285846_thumb.jpg