Changing Conrods

Dr Concrete

• Member For: 19y 2m 20d

Hey homes,

I've been wondering if I was to change the conrods on the T ute, what would be the easiest way to do it? Would it be easiesr to take off the head or to remove the sump and drop out the crank to do it? Has anyone tried to just remove the sump and slip out only the conrods by themselves? It might sound stupid but in some other engines it can be done. What do you think?

Regards Jordan

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 1d

Pistons can't be removed through the bottom, but can only come out once the head is removed.

Could it be done in the car, yes, but it would not be easy.

You can't 'drop out the crank' as it is connected to the transmission, but you can undo the conrod caps and pull the pistons out through the top.

• Member For: 18y 9m 21d

if you are going to the trouble of changing the rods, why not throw in some better pistons to go with the deal, balance it all... and you are streets ahead.

there is no easy way to change the rods in any engine I know of that you will find in a car ( yes, some big industrial stuff will have side access to engine block to loosen rod bolts, but we are talking 50 litre diesels), in short - head off, sump off...you may as well yank it out altogether.

my opinion only

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 17d

I've thought about this aswell, I've seen it done in a few cars

take the head off with the inlet manifold and the turbo/manifold left on, just need to undo the fuel lines, electrical's, and other hose's, belt's....etc

Drop the sump, undo rod bolt's push the piston/rods up, size new piston's to match bore, rod bearing to match crank, drop in new combo tension everything up again,

Only need to make sure that the new piston/rod combo weigh the same as each combo set then would be all balnced

And away you go? or not quite that easy with these cars?????

If a sponsor/or engine rebuilder in melb is up to do this, count me in

Cheers Dalesy

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 1d
I've thought about this aswell, i've seen it done in a few cars

Drop the sump, undo rod bolt's push the piston/rods up, size new piston's to match bore, rod bearing to match crank, drop in new combo tension everything up again,

Cheers Dalesy

"dropping the sump" involves removing the Eng from the car or the front cross member and suspension assembly. By the time you do that you might as well pull the donk and do it properly.

Luke

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 1d
I've thought about this aswell, I've seen it done in a few cars

take the head off with the inlet manifold and the turbo/manifold left on, just need to undo the fuel lines, electrical's, and other hose's, belt's....etc

Only need to make sure that the new piston/rod combo weigh the same as each combo set then would be all balnced

And away you go? or not quite that easy with these cars?????

If a sponsor/or engine rebuilder in melb is up to do this, count me in

Cheers Dalesy

Wow, you must have studied a few farm mechanics working on old tractors :bowdown:

Working on a high performance engine like a turbo charged XR6T requires a bit more finesse, and I think your suggested methodology would end in tears :spoton:

Changing conrods by this method may be possible (but not recommended), but fitting new pistons to the block without proper measuring and matching the fine tolerances these engines run with would just be crazy.

As Hiddeous says, it is just as easy to take the engine out and do it properly :pooh:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 17d
Wow, you must have studied a few farm mechanics working on old tractors :roflmbo:

First one I saw was on a 400hp 4cycl turbo worked out fine, the next on a ford courier that gets used everyday, both was done an engine reconditioner in melb, 5 mins from the city

I didn't realise you had drop the suspension to get the sump off

O'well worth a thought

Dalesy