BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

You will be amazed at the way it drives when you get it back. It will feel much more planted and tight. More direct.

Even new squishy fraud ones work well for about 8,000k's.

If your rotors are out you will hear it. Well most times. If they are out enough to cause a big shudder than yes you will hear them brush the pads on the bent bit. Specially driving against a tall divider.

Unfortunately the cheapest way out is also one of the dearest. And that's to get rid of all the crap in one hit. New bushes, dampers and springs. May as well do your diff bush while your in the rear too.

Not sure of retail. but I am thinking you should be able to be on Koni reds, Kings and superpro all round for about the $2,500 mark with labour.

It will be the best mod you do to your car. Matter a fact this should be the first Mod you do. Then the brakes, even if it's just fluid and pads.

• Member For: 13y 4d

Had the mechanic ring me ALL bushes have been changed, but he says the rotors have warped spots on them, gona get some new rotors and pads aswell, he took the car for a ride after doing the bushes and he said the was alot of feedback coming through the steering wheel and car, he reckons theres air in the power steering line? wtf.

this is going from bad to worse the bills already looking like $1000 plus :(

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

I've had my BAT for years, and its continually shuddered whether under braking, at highway speeds.....comes and goes of varying degrees, nothing truly "fixes" (new bushes and /or rotors will take some away, but then on new tyres does it again etc etc etc....never been a day when my car has driven with slight shaking somewhere.

I just accept its part of the car now and it doesn't bother me - disappointing, but its the only major fault with my car and I'm prepared to put with it and use my money on something worthwhile than fililng mechanics pockets!!

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I seriously don't get this at all.

I ride bikes. We have mono block floating 6 piston calipers on the end of a couple of tubes. If the brakes are out in the slightest we feel it.

Only time I have ever had shudder is when I have cooked a disc. And that took some doing.

And I have had Brembo 6/4's on my car for two years with an auto. And it has done numerous track days. And I have never had shudder.

The bushes are shoite and last about 20,000 of hard driving. You should get 75,000 out of them if you are on std brakes though.

I just dunno u know lol.

One thing I know is I have had to do a lot of city driving of late and it has beveled off the inside of my front tyres completely. Turning lock to lock at a standstill is not great fro the fronts

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 28d

Had the mechanic ring me ALL bushes have been changed, but he says the rotors have warped spots on them, gona get some new rotors and pads aswell, he took the car for a ride after doing the bushes and he said the was alot of feedback coming through the steering wheel and car, he reckons theres air in the power steering line? wtf.

this is going from bad to worse the bills already looking like $1000 plus :(

what bushes did he use?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 14d

During my apprenticeship I did heaps of on car disc machining to correct the brake shudder issue. In my opinion I think alot of it is caused by an the hub flanges not being clean/true and secondly due to incorrect/irregular wheel nut tension. In my old ba sedan, pulled the wheels, rotors and rubbed the flanges with a diamond stone and tensioned the wheel nuts with a torque wrench to ford spec, I never had a problem and my sedan copped a hard time. My BF ute I bought secondhand, and had a slight shudder when I bought it, that got a whole lot worst after powercruise. Recently put a set of the DBA4000s on the front with the t slots and bendix ultimate pads, cleaned the hub face and tensioned the wheel nuts properly.....Cant speak highly enough of them, bedded them in the normal way the afternoon I did them then gave them a flogging at the drags that night, initial pedal feel is easily 50%better, and overall performance im very pleased, will do the rears shortly and get braided hoses and improve even further but Im still wrapped with how the cars is even now.

• Banned

I'm sure the above is spot on advice.

As for your surprise Vivasanti, I also think its %^&$ that (getting old) BAs have shuddering/shaking etc - fact is, that no amount of rotor machining replacement/adjustment, nut/bolt tension, bushes, tyres etc etc have made any difference.

Real brake shudder is obvious - fix 80% of my shaking with replacement/machining. But mine still "vibrates/shakes" regardless through the steering wheel and has never driven like my Clubbie, GTR or (probably very dead now) Integra - not a big deal in the scheme of things for mine.......look up "engine destroyed" that will make you nervous.

• Member For: 13y 4d

what bushes did he use?

Dunno yet, but I think he went for some stronger nolathane (sp?) type.

Another guy tonight suggested driveshaft out of balance?

I guess I wont know if any of this stuffs helped till I actually get the car back and take it on a long drive.

• Banned

Your car is getting old, if its the BA in your picture. Without wanting to sound harsh, all second hand cars have issues and yours is far from serious!! (buy a better car if you're picky..... )

All I'll say is the more you chase the more you'll spend (mechanics will rip you if you ask questions), good luck and hope you sort it (I never have, and it doesn't bother me anymore).