BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 24d
I have had brake shruddering at 23k's. It has been machined and now its running fine.

Exactly what mine did at 24,000km.

Please keep us informed as to how many km's you do before it returns. I an particularly interested to know as this would confirm my reason for changing to the PBR's.

Just remeber that at 50,000km your on your own. that's the end of the Ford warranty on brakes.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 21y 2m 5d

My Mk1 T has had a slight break shudder, during a service last year it seemed to have solved it. They mentioned a new shimm was required, do not believe the discs were machined. Went up to the Dandenong's (East Melbourne hills) on the weekend. The car felt great up the hills!!! After a coffee break, headed down with some speed at times and boy did I suffer BREAK SHUDDER!!! Even using the gears to assist the car to pull up was hard.A nd those that know, the metal railings approach real fast up there.

So I will book my car in as it only has 37k on the dial before I hit the 50K no no.

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 6d

ahhhh those were the days, when all we had to worry about was Brake shudder and APS v All comers, oh and Colour Wars and lets not forget the injector wars 1 thru 6 :crybaby:

BTW when is the next edition of XR6 Turbo times going to be published ???

• 3 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 2m 20d

I had really bad brake shudder in my BA Mk I XR6. I took over the car whilst it had about 30k on the clock. Nothing Ford did stopped it - right up until the time the lease finished at about 65k on the clock. Even the new brake compound did not really stop it. After machining the disc's (which I did about 3 times whilst I had it) the shudder would return after about 8k on the clock. The new brake compound probably did help a little, but the side-effect was getting black brake dust all over the front alloys about 2 days after cleaning them :blush:

I've had the BF now for about 5 months. It's got just over 10k on the clock and no shudder. But I guess will see what happens after I clock up more k's.

If I go 2nd hand next time for my next XR6 Turbo, it'll probably be a BA Mk II and I'll try to get one with the premium brake package or if not fitted, seriously consider upgrading to the premium brake package if I feel any brake shudder. I have not heard of anyone on the forum with the premium brake package experiencing brake shudder (but I've also not read every post in this thread :fool: )

My thoughts anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 21y 11m 24d

My April 03 MK1 had new rotors and pads fitted at 67K after 3 machinings all under warranty.

After 8K no brake shudder but I may never get to see my silver front alloy wheels again. The brake dust is ridiculous. I also have to apologise to all the dogs along my pathway to work. The squealing drives me bananas so I can imagine what it's doing to them.

I bought this up at the 75K service but was told "yeah it's a compromise".

Good to know they admit selling cars with compromised brakes.

Suppose I should be happy they changed them but I still don't consider the problem "fixed".

• Member For: 19y 8m 15d

03 ba xr6t no shudder but had a mate who had brake shudder, he had his disc's machined and put on differnt pads.. not to sure of the brand name of the pads and compound..

• Iconoclast
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 28d

I think having 1280 something replies is valid... Cause Mr. Henry's people read this stuff... (some get 190,000 a year to read forums) and they might get the message....

BA Brakes will kill people , simple.........................