BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 11y 3m 24d

Yeah,bought mine last week too..First thing ive done replace the rotors with new pair of DBAs (face of the old ones was full of small cracks) with new Bendix Blue Bands..Also flush the brake fluid at the same time..No more shuddering and very nice smooth stopping action.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 5m 28d

Back again, damn shudder, had the DBA T3 on the front and T2, s on the rear with new pads and only travelled around 5k. (City 70%, freeway 30%).

Has anyone found the miracle cure yet........without spending 2k on Brembo, s?

• Member For: 19y 8m 5d
If the shudder disappears with high pedal force, this might be worth a shot.

Take the car up to legal speed and and brake moderately hard until low speed is reached; repeat the procedure until the brakes just begin to rumble due to heat load.

At that point it is important to immediately reduce acceleration and braking loads and as cruise as much as possible for at least the next 10 minutes or more, ideally at moderate speed, to enable the brakes to cool right down. Pick your road so that you do not need to stop.

If it works you would have removed the uneven pad deposits that were causing the brake shudder in the first instance and re-laid a new even layer of pad transfer back onto the disc. Smooth braking should therefore be restored.

If you generally drive in slow traffic you may find that there is a need to repeat the procedure after a few thousand km. (See below).

Other causes of shudder can include:

- (as per the above posts) worn bushes

- dud tyres, try rotating the your fronts to the back

- radically overcooking the disc and or pad chemistry at some point.

Overcooking discs leads to uneven metallurgy across the disc. Overcooking the pads leads to pad transfer being applied in a haphazard manner across the disc - perhaps for the life of the pad. Both phenomena lead to shudder.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, ill give it a go this week.

I contacted race brakes and Mathew seems to think it may be the pads, I was going to get a set of the new Brembo pads.

Your idea is a cheaper option so ill see how it goes.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 4

• Member For: 11y 1m 1d

Hoping for some answers, I bought a BA XR6 T ute (04) (alimimium tray back) back in March. I have done about 26,000 kms since I bought it and started to get a shutter in the brakes about 4000 kms ago. I use the vehicle for work and do alot of long distance driving. What would be the best solution. I have read a fair few comments about different rotors and pad. I have seen on Ebay few brake supplier have gone away from crossed drilled and have changed to dimpled drill and slotted. has anyone got these type of rotors on and are they working for you?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive tried new rotors (dba slotted t3) and pads (ebc reds) but doesn't seem to make any difference, shudder keels coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late respone Angel, havent been on for a while. Yep, changed shocks to Koni Reds and also installed king springs, all the suspension/diff bushes have been checked and/or replaced so all good in that department.

I put it down to bad engineering by Ford and ill just have to live with it till I get my new Mustang in 2016...

• Member For: 14y 7m 15d

Gemms take off your front wheels and with a pry bar check how much movement is in your upper control arm bushes warped ford discs wreck these bushes which is probably why you still have shudder if they feel really loose like jelly then they are stuffed and you need some super pros

Gemms take off your front wheels and with a pry bar check how much movement is in your upper control arm bushes warped ford discs wreck these bushes which is probably why you still have shudder if they feel really loose like jelly then they are stuffed and you need some super pros

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try but it will have to wait, snapped my Achilles' tendon last week so hobbling around in crutches for the next 7 weeks, a real pain but thankfully it's my left foot so still able to drive.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD