BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 16y 4m 23d

I get the exact same problem that Vivasanti has described, (not the usual brake shudder under braking) that doesn't bother me at all. It is the random comming and going of a vibration that literally shakes the whole car when doing say 80-100kph. I can feel it start somewhere in the front end, then it moves up into the steering wheel and shakes the sh!t out of it lol. Then as you hit the brakes to slow down the shudder is really bad and it feels as though the brakes have lost that vacum assit (like when you try braking when the car is switched off). so im not sure what cause's it to begin with weather it is the brakes randomly starting to drag or worn bushes but it is annoying.

• Member For: 13y 4d

Sounds Identical to mine man, ill let you know how the car goes when I get it back :)

Simply putting up with it isnt an option for me, the car feels "unsafe" I dont want to carry my family round in it at all, if it shudders after changing all the stuff I have ill be selling it sadly, its a 2005 and the newest car ive got, I also have a 97 sti wrx and a 97 caldina, the Falcon is the worst of the lot at this stage :D

Fingers crossed for when I get the car back, thanks for all your wise words guys.

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

Just sell it mate.

Do yourself a favour and buy another $hit Caldina or WRX - the fact you had bought one to start with says everything.

Edited by CBXRT

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 26d

Countless people myself included tried to get rid of it, sometimes you just can't. Unless you swap for brembo's or similar.

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

Agree 100% mate. OP conveniently ignoring good (including my) advice.

Still can't believe a "Caldina" was mentioned on here without apologies

....... (LOL :focus: )

Edited by CBXRT

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 14d

If you cant feel it in the wheel or through the pedal I doubt the cause is disc thickness variation. Id be inclined to get the driveshaft balanced, and get the doughnuts checked. Its typically between 80-110kph

• BANNED
  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 4m 23d

You also get it through the chassis and up through the steering wheel when you have cracked pinion teeth !

Took a lot of $$$$ to finally diagnose this !!!

Edited by dazzler

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Brembo's suffer it oo.

When the FG first came out there was talk of FPV making a new upper control arm to try and get rid of it. I don't even know if they changes the bush.

Never heard another thing about it form them so I can only presume it was too hard for them and they gave up.

Brake shudder should only be felt through the wheel and pedal. If it goes further than that then whatever is holding that wheel is stuffed too.

Driveshafts you can feel through your arse. And hear.

When they pull the discs off too grind then I think they release pressure on the bush and suspension. Allowing the std bush to go back into shape. Next good bump or hollow you go over. Or even a good hard braking and that bush gets squished a little. Once again allowing a little movement, a shudder.

Well that's my thoughts on it.

The bushes suck

The drive shafts do throw weights.

They have a huge chunky crankshaft that is strait out of a Massey Furgeson that isn't well balanced or fed. Mine gives a little harmonic vibe @ about 1650 to 1850.

Has the car been modded at one stage. Did they remove the truing shims to get more camber?

Most rims and tyres are pretty true these days. If you have someone who cares putting your bags on they will match the tyre to the rim. So bugger all weight if any is needed.