BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 11d

Did the Ford guys drive it and feel the shudder?

Man I feel for you. I have a rattle in my back hed that's is driving me mad. I had it in my NA as well. I think its the way I drive.

Serious question though, what will you do if you sell the T, ge something else and 2 months down the track....brake shudder?

There are so many componenst at the front of these things.

May I suggest you spend $14 at pedders and get them to do their safet check. May turn up nothing but you never know. For $14 or whatever it is, its money well spent IMO

• Member For: 18y 3m 24d

had the rotors replaced under warranty again today. brakes still shuddering decided ive had enough gonna put the car up for sale and get a jzx100. shame really cause its a dam good looking car just cant afford to waste any more money =(

All 4 or just 2 ?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 28d

The boosters in the BA/BF are a common problem for holding brakes on and causing shudder. The first one we had we thought the customer was dreaming as she said the shudder would happen at 100kmh whilst driving along. We drove it for ages and couldnt get it to fault. Took it home one night along the freeway and f*ck me...didnt even touch the brakes but had to pull over the shudder was that bad. When I got home and jacked the car up I found the front brakes were stuck on. Pulled the booster valve out and the brakes released. We have done atleast 10 for the exact same problem and upto now the cars havent returned.

As Ratter said,if you had shudder and they only replaced the master cylinder,the shudder will still be there when you use the brakes.

+1 this plus worn lower front control arm bushes =99% of brake shudder issues in our cars.

Fit bigger brakes/better rotor/pad and its makes the problem worse sooner due too higher bracking loads on the lower control arm bushes

Guest XR09
  • Guests

For sure the bushes. I still have never had the brake shudder issue in 30,000k's of having the 6/4's on, and I have had mine glowing and smelling pretty bad. The upper control arm bush is pretty sus too.

Get the lower, upper and radial bushes done. And the rears while your at it if you suffer tramp.

Ford have used bubble gum bushes for ages. They give a nice soft quite ride for about 10,000k's and then they are stuffed. Well not stuffed but not good enough to hold it all in place anymore. They cant handle the extra strain of grippier tyres and stoppier picks. They were never designed too.

I remember a year after the FG came out FPV was talking of a new upper control arm to fix the problem. It never happened.

Pressure will always find the weakest point.

Also when fitting the new bushes to the upper control arm. Get them to put a washer in either side of the bush. The mount is pretty piss poor and cuts into the bush. They washers will give it a bit more life.

Edited by XR09

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

Thanks for the washer tip, I should be getting mine done on Monday (front lower control arm). Got the shudder as always, seems worse from front right, which is the badly collapsed bush.

• Member For: 13y 10m 14d

Did the Ford guys drive it and feel the shudder?

Man I feel for you. I have a rattle in my back hed that's is driving me mad. I had it in my NA as well. I think its the way I drive.

Serious question though, what will you do if you sell the T, ge something else and 2 months down the track....brake shudder?

There are so many componenst at the front of these things.

May I suggest you spend $14 at pedders and get them to do their safet check. May turn up nothing but you never know. For $14 or whatever it is, its money well spent IMO

I had a ford technician from take it for a drive on friday and he was going though some thoughts this brake shudder issue he reckoned id already solved the cause of the original problem and my tyres just needed a good balance. ginen though I reckon hes spot on because the shudder only occurs at 100 and above and is constant. so gonna give it a shot cause I have a friend who runs a tyre shop and can do it for free hopefully that's all it is now.

for your question though I just accepted that the risk im gonna take if I do that sure it could happen but all I can do is just make sure I find one in good nick and looked after. current car has proven to be costly to service and fix and not that reliable. even now my transmissions starting to play up despite only being replaced 10000km ago. im just sick of having to take it to the machanics all the time. and spending my hard earned cash (which I dont have alot of being an apprentice). car in thinking of getting has a good reputation for reliabilty and performance plus got a mate who has one and swears by it.

have been to pedderes and they found nothing

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 8m 28d

Every since I picked up my car, FG G6E Turbo, its had massive shudder above 100km/h. Made me slow down real slow at those speeds.

So rather than going through the dealer skimming dramas, I went and bought new pads and discs.

got RDA slotted rotors, and Remsa euro spec pads. GSL Rallysport who is a big dealer of QFM pads do not sell QFMs anymore, with the Remsas being a higher temp rated product (650 deg C) and priced better. I thought I'd give them a try.

On Friday I had an hour to spare to I changed the rear discs and pads, and front pads only. See how that went. Went for a drive, bedded them in, felt ok. Took them out on the freeway, even bigger shudder than before! Really freaked me out a bit. So I slowed down, did some more braking, and then tried again. Less pronounced shudder, but still there. I had to drive 600kms on Saturday, so didn't have time to change the front discs.

Finally did that today. All shudder is gone :)

Pads feel pretty good, they need a bleed but overall I'm happy.

phew.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 26d

Shudder on the FG's is weird.

I sort of got into a habit with the BA where if I've been hard on the brakes, like really warmed them up I wont sit at the lights with my foot on the brakes. that's one on the main causes of warped discs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 5d
:bangcomputer: ive found all ford cars since xc r poo & have brake shutter :censored: , ford done 45k service on g6 thurs they rang me & said they have 2 machine rotors I said ok I left the car there overnight pick it friday mrn I arrived 2 pay they said they put new rotors on because there machine broke on mine. $226 I suplied my own oil. :popcorn: