Rolling Acceleration

did_4m41

• Member For: 17y 9m

hi, just wondering 4 spd auto or 6 spd manual (modified or stock at same level), which one will be faster on rolling acceleration (not on race track - different story)?

I think 6 spd ZF should be the fastest, so I don't include in this comparison.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 9m 7d
hi, just wondering 4 spd auto or 6 spd manual (modified or stock at same level), which one will be faster on rolling acceleration (not on race track - different story)?

I think 6 spd ZF should be the fastest, so I don't include in this comparison.

Some perceptions - some data.

If there is up shift involved,

- the 4 speed auto is quicker. (G-Tech data.)

If there is down shift involved,

- using the speed auto's triptronic to signal downshift, the auto is much quicker.

- allowing the 4 speed auto to figure out the downshift... hmm not sure about that - probably the manual.

In single gear,

- if you are above 2000 rpm and on boost, manual could be quicker

- if you are below 2000 rpm or otherwise not on boost - auto is quicker

Regards,

aa

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 10m 7d

Manual can be just as quick.. Too many factors, namely the driver and traction control..

Also there will be too many guys who will want to compare 300rwkw auto to a 300rwkw manual.

Auto makes more flywheel kw for the same rwkw figure, so unless everyone agrees on an engine figure there is no chance of finding you an answer..

For mine, there should be ~ 280rwkw auto Vs 305rwkw manual to be fair. Some will argue that power at the wheels is what matters, and if they are the same, it's equal. This is wrong, as one car is plainy making more power..

I would also like to see an unmodified auto tranny run against a manual ( No firmed up shift points etc ) and see what the outcome is.

This is one answer no-one will agree upon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 8d
Manual can be just as quick.. Too many factors, namely the driver and traction control..

Also there will be too many guys who will want to compare 300rwkw auto to a 300rwkw manual.

Auto makes more flywheel kw for the same rwkw figure, so unless everyone agrees on an engine figure there is no chance of finding you an answer..

For mine, there should be ~ 280rwkw auto Vs 305rwkw manual to be fair. Some will argue that power at the wheels is what matters, and if they are the same, it's equal. This is wrong, as one car is plainy making more power..

I would also like to see an unmodified auto tranny run against a manual ( No firmed up shift points etc ) and see what the outcome is.

This is one answer no-one will agree upon.

ihave a manual ba xr6t and my mate has a auto ba xr6t both 02 model both stock my bro raced my mate and my 6t manual beat the auto by 4/5 cars this is rolling start at 70km/h

maybe its the colour cause mine is red, that's why its quicker hehe

remember red is fast

Edited by LUMO

• Iconoclast
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 25d

My guess is the F6 will be faster whatever it has got..!!

Especially that yellow one from the northside that posted above!!

Edited by Blonk