Edit.

MR-XR

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 3d

Yeah spoke to him this morning actually, he's backlogged in the PM system which is understandable! lol.

Probably not after more than 350, thinking early 300s :bangcomputer:

And yeah, slowly collecting bits. Missed out on $250 dekas a while back, spewin. Already own an XCAL3 though :) just injs and a pump (I guess hehe). Oh and pipes for the cooler!

Been hanging for an edit for a while now!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 3m 3d

I am thinking of getting a flash tuner with 3 generic tunes. The general consensus seems to be that generic tunes are bad!!!!

Given that the factory tune is generic and my car is otherwise standard (ie no variables to make the generic tune more dangerous), then I can't see why it shouldn't be safe to run a generic tune given that it was a good tune to begin with. From what I know (not that much) a good generic tune is on the conservative side anyway.

Has anyone actually damaged a stock car put down to using a generic tune???

I am assuming that the car was always running 98 octane, and that it hadn't been consistently flogged prior to the damage.

The car is my daily driver, is a family car, and is driven normally most of the time with the occasional squirt of hard acceleration.

Cheers

Edited by Big Dazza

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 8d

the quality of generic tunes can vary between tuners just as cars vary in how they respond to tunes.

and yes cars have gone bang on generic tunes.

Well worth saving for a custom tune IMO.

If you must have a generic tunes at least get them tested on a dyno to make sure

everything is safe.

• Member For: 15y 3m 3d

Good advice!!

Most tuners claim to be better, safer etc than their competition. Don't want to be a sceptic, but if I get it on the dyno they are almost certainly going to say that the generic is crap, and a full custom tune is required.

If I could get on a dyno and get an honest appraisal of AFR's etc, then its a great idea and money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 27d

OK guys excuse the question, BUT is buying your own personal flash box mandatory in editing these cars? I coming out of an LS1 Expensive Daewoo to a T, and that was a case of simply getting the car tuned, paying the coin and see you later.

If I want my T tuned then I'll always have this little flash box right? So on top of its (flasher) purchase price I then have to 'BUY' a custom tune on top? This is the only way to load the tunes onto these cars?

Cant I just rock up to say CV and say tune it pay the money and drive out happy?

Edited by kane_tools

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 2d

Using the 'edit' you need to buy the box, but if your tuner uses VCM or Sniper then no you don't....edit is still pretty much the standard though.

• Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

and the good thing about having the box compared with the vcm or snipe is, it has 3 tunes, so if you get to a servo with only 95 you can put in the 95 tune without killing your engine

• Azzman
  • Member For: 16y 2m 4d

Hey guys

I havea question about the standard tunes that are automatically loaded onto the CAPA flash box.

I know they arent the best to put onto your car as a custom tune is always much more favourable than the standard CAPA ones, but if one of these standard tunes is on your car will it do any damage?

Reason I ask is im looking at buying a secondhand BF T and a couple of them im looking at have a standard CAPA 10psi tune loaded onto them.