Plenum

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 26d
OK, done 100k's on it.

Seat of the pants............ heaps better..

Initial response on light throttle is much improved. I've dialled ALL the boost out, and it's still better than before..

Pulls from ~2000rpm easily.. It waited till 3000rpm before it took off on the old setup

I've removed 5 Litres of volume from the previous pipework crossover design!!!!!!..

Dyno tomorrow arv..  :laughing:

Well done Ben ... and what you experience is about what I'd expect.

It must give great satisfaction to have done this yourself.

Good luck with the tuning.

Brian

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 20y 26d

It is a nice match to the rocker cover shape, some small refinements and it will look stock! I imagine there would be a bit of a price difference to other options available... in the right direction I assume?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 27d

it looks like the biggest bastard of a thing to try and screw onto the lower part of the plenum! how on earth do you get a socket in there?

great to hear it is a success none the less..

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 9m 4d

Well just got back from the dyno.

Simon was there doing another car and hung around to help with the ute..

Background:

Same tune as before which ran 11.81 @ 117mph and made ~310rwkw

Changed the exhaust from 'gutted' to muffled. (I'm getting jacked off with noise.. )

Fitted plenum and nothing else changed..

Result:

Picked up ~40rwkw with the gains seen from ~3500rpm until Simon stepped off the go pedal ( It wasn't dropping power of it's own accord )

And MORE IMPORTANTLY, made more power on up to 4-5psi LESS boost.. Midrange boost has dropped the most..

IMG.jpg

Next week I'll refit my replacement centre section, and maybe the gutted cat and see how it fares as a genuine back to back comparison, it should pick up more down low, but we'll see.

So..........................

BIG thanks to Simon from Xtreme Ford Tuning for the tuning, it's an ANIMAL on the road, with power coming on so strongly from 1500rpm it's amazing, and as seen from the graph, it doesn't stop!! :spit::msm:

Also Gramps, ( F6 Tornado ) who helped me with TIG man, and also the general abuse/nit picking and general earbashing I come to expect from him :yikes: ..

What the graph can't show, and many don't understand is THROTTLE RESPONSE is so much better, it's worlds apart.

Everyone who says there's no advantage to running a forward facing plenum and that "Stock plenums are good for 10's " get a grip, it's a VERY measurable difference on the dyno, and a bigger difference on the road!!!!!!!

I have also lost NO POWER down low, with a more restrictive exhaust in place. Power curves overlap until ~3500rpm. ( More graphs to come with complete round-up next week..)

I'll be back to the dyno next week to get the 'drag tune' sorted, and run the comparison as an exact replication of the 11.81 incarnation/tune, with nothing changed but the plenum, looks promising!!

Edit controls everything except boost, which is still controlled by XEDE..

it looks like the biggest bastard of a thing to try and screw onto the lower part of the plenum! how on earth do you get a socket in there?

great to hear it is a success none the less..

The sea-clet is in teh sauce!!!! as they say....

Well the head side bolts are easily located, and the other ones are all done from underneath, with a few extensions on a ratchet, actually just as easy as the factory item..

:spit:

Factory clutch !!! hence keeping it down in the mid!!

edit: I am thinking of replacing the comp cover back to the .50, but I think it will bring on a touch more midrange for the clutch to handle, so I might leave it alone........................... for now...

• Team Xtreme
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 11d

Mate youve done a fantastic job with your plenum. Works good and as you can see has made very good gains to the power graph. Get those new clutch disks in I gave you and I think we will be in for some serious times. :spit: