Boost Solenoid Maintenance

ZAP

• 3 weeks later...
  • All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

One of the best write ups I have found.

I did mine on the weekend. Bit of a buger due to Mizpros CAI and battery relocation but got there. A different car to drive now. Mine has 65k on the odo an I've never cleaned it before.

Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 8m 4d

Hi guys

Woohoo my first post :beerchug:

Just picked up a stock 04 BA XR6T yesterday and did the WD40 trick - made a bit of a difference - not huge but definitely worth the 5 mins for the job. Seems alot more responsive! Thanks ZAP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 15d

Just a quick question, what are the the mechanics behind doing this. I do it as part of a service and will fully remove the hoses and give them a clean, but today thought "what am I achieving by this?"

From this thread it seems something gets sticky or oily and after some WD40 the car goes faster, but why. What is happening to which components? I know it works would just to know why though. thanks

Also theres a fella in another thread raving against doing this (cant find it right now), whats with that?

Edited by Rancidpunx

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 3m 16d

The best analogy I can come up with is, imagine a piece of chewing gum between your thumb and index finger. Press your finger and thumb together and apart a few times and it has a certain resistance. As the gum gets colder the resistence increases.

Now imagine the gum is your boost solenoid. As it get's older the internal components get stickier with blowby oil and create more resistence. A squirt of WD40 or crc is lubricating those sticky components thus reducing the resistence.spoton.gif

Make sense?dontknow.gif