Boost Solenoid Maintenance

ZAP

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 11m 15d

I gave this a go last week and I noticed a hell of a difference in power. Haha, I think the XR6T ute that was sitting with me in traffic towards the city was surprised when I gave it a bootful afterwards.

But I noticed however when overtaking on the motorway, that the engine / power would cut out consistently around 3.5k rpm.

A week later, when installing new spark plugs and checking a few things ... I noticed the hose was off completely. If I'm not mistaken this will fool the computer into thinking there's no boost developing, hence your wastegate won't open (thanks to a little wikipedia & advice from a friend). The result is you can build boost up to levels potentially dangerous for your engine. I think the engine cutting out in my case might have been triggered by knock being detected. I don't need to tell you this can be very bad for your engine.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the technical side of things.

But anyway, if you perform this maintenance, DOUBLE CHECK your hose hasn't slipped off with the added lubrication after you've taken it for a spin if you're getting insane results. I could hear my turbo spooling up quite audibly and was even getting turbo flutter, with stock equipment and my BOV properly connected.

• Member For: 15y 4m 16d

Was wunderin' if there is any reason why you can't simply undo the rubber hose that comes from the solenoid where it attches to the top of the turbo and then spray the WD-40 down this hose? Hose is about 10 inches long so cannot see why to remove it from the solenoid end?

Where it attaches to the turbo has a screw head clamp and is easily accessible and would save the pain of removing anything?

(FG G6ET.)

Edited by Shcbri

• Member For: 16y 1m 17d

while checking all my hoses and piping on my car I noticed the hose from the boost solenoid does not have a hose clamp on the turbo (it has a clamp on the solinoid) but hose just slip onto the connection on the turbo is this correct or should there be a hose clamp

• Member For: 15y 1m 10d

GREAT THREAD BOYS..... carried out in 2 min just pulled hose off sprayed some WD40 and re- attached.....

no need to take battery out etc, just twist hose and apply pressure to pull off... can be tricky to find but just follow red(+) lead off battery to solinoid..

Also done to other xr6 t and noticed difference..

WELL DONE !!!!!!!icon_ford.gificon_ford.gificon_ford.gif

Did this to my FG ute 75,000km - Just took the top of the hose off and sprayed down it with WD 40 (dont use silicone based lube as it will kill O2 sensors).

I pulled the copper out of a electical cable and then used the hollow platic bit of insulation as a hollow extention to spray further down the tube.

Wow, what a difference. I cant explain why but it comes on boost faster and is stronger at the top end also.

Just before I did it, I was thinking how I was getting used to the power but it wasnt mee it was the car. Actually it goes better now than when new.

took maybe 1 minute (2 including my dodgy extention for the wd40)

• 3 weeks later...