75,000km Service

apac77

• Member For: 19y 4d

I wouldn't be going straight for the full syn oils in at least your first change, go for a semi syn first change then decide from their.

Depending on the intervals you choose to change your oil, obviously the more frequent the better, maybe do your next change at 5000km this way you can actually see what kind of state it is in after a short period. If the oil comes out relatively clean then go ahead with the full syn if you like but always check the oil visually at each change to see how much more wear it is getting each time, this will be a good indicator that a flush might be in order as well as possibly a thicker grade of oil as it gets on in the km's.

Most important though, add some engine flush prior to your first oil change and drive it for maybe 100km, more if you can, drop the oil but use a regular oil for about another 100km this will ensure you clean the engine of any detergents used in the flush solution. For this you can use off the shelf Safeway if you like because it's not staying in the engine very long but only being used to flush any left over detergents. It's a good idea to do this because you don't want them in your new fresh top shelf oil as it can actually make the oil break down well before it should, this is why some people who only ever use top shelf oils still have bearing problems, flushing should be a 2 stage process.

As for brands the best advice I or anyone else here can give I suppose is get the brand that you can afford and you know works for others.

Good Luck

Stef

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 16d
I wouldn't be going straight for the full syn oils in at least your first change, go for a semi syn first change then decide from their.

Good Luck

Stef

Ummm, he has asked the question of a 75,000 km old car............ don't think he really cares about the first change. :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 3d

Checked out the castrol edge...... $70... hmmmm a bit to rich for me and plus I need 2 of them... couldnt find Royal purple anywhere...

There was a castrol edge for about $50 but that was 5w-40... it said on the bottle that the oil is suited for high performance 4 cylinder engines though.... hmmm. Im gettin the service done at Ultra Tune in Dandenong cause I've heard good things about them. Guess ill have to ask what oil they use ey....

• Member For: 19y 4d

Ummm, he has asked the question of a 75,000 km old car............ don't think he really cares about the first change. :spoton:

Ummmm yeeeee, first oil change coming out of a full mineral based oil service history. Do you actually think they put anything better than the run of the mill oil in your T at the dealership unless you bring the bottle for them??

The engine has been run on mineral based oils which use different detergents in the oils, the coating that has been left by the mineral oil can be stripped by the synthetic oil thereby causing damage. I'm not saying that it will happen but that it can, it all comes down to how care and maintain your vehicles, if you don't care then why worry about what oil you use, no point worrying about oil if you don't follow a proper preventative procedure.

You all talk about thousands of dollars worth of modifications that you have done to your car, some even putting themselves in debt, and then tightarss it for an extra $50 when it comes to one of the most vital services on any engine.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 15d

Sheesh, 75K is nothing on these motors if it's been looked after. I'd be using a full synthetic (0-10)W - 40. Don't forget this oil has the film strength of a mineral based 60 when hot, so I wouldn't go thicker unless you were in Rapid F6's shoes - big HP and hot climate.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 5d
Do you actually think they put anything better than the run of the mill oil in your T at the dealership unless you bring the bottle for them??

Yep. Three Ford dealers that I've been to in the last 12 month have used Castrol Edge 0W-40 in fact. The one that I visited while still running the engine in, used Mobil semi-synth.

But you're right, definately ask what will be going in, or better yet, bring your preferred choice of lube.

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 3m

im glad you created this thred apac77. Im about to do my 75k service on my 04BA, ill take some advice in this thread and check out midas and some others (in canberra), will let you know the quoted price.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 3m 17d

I have just had the 75,000 km service as well.

Mine came to just over $1100 dollars, but this included new rotors for the Premium brakes (obviously pads as well) By the time I got to to this distance, the rotors were really worn down, I thought the pads were supposed to wear out before the rotors???

I know that I could have sourced and fitted the parts more cheaply by doing the work myself, but I don't have much time at the minute, so I paid the money.

I am not complaining as I know what Ford charge, but just giving my experience of 75,000 km service

For your bill, I would expect to see some major bits getting replaced

Hope this helps