75,000km Service

apac77

• Member For: 18y 7m 21d

thanks again peoples... yeah freakin ford aye, I guess they must shaft a lot of people. I knew I was being shafted and luckily it was just a quote. I think I'll look up a few guides on here to see how to change the bulbs (right parking light/left fog light), spark plugs, hand brake adjustment, might even give the break pads a go.... but I'll definitely get a quote from a local mechanic.

Anyone have a XR6T in Cairns, QLD? Who do you get it serviced through?

Laters

Stevo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 23d
$270 for the service is about right I spose, but the prices on that other stuff is outta this world

I agree totally. The price for the general service items and other parts seams resonable.

BUT the labour cost are through the roof. As it was said that equates to about 6 hours labour. Do Qld mechanics work slower than others.

• Member For: 20y 11m 13d

$95 is just a standard Ford price for adjusting the hand brake. They tried it on me once with the T and my wife once with our fairmont and I cracked it and told them that if I am paying them $200 plus to service a car then what the hell are they doing if not tuning and adjusting?

F#@*ing ridiculous.

Had the handbrake adjusted to perfection for free on the next maintenance.

Matt

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 11d

Hey apac,

I arrived in Cairns recently and I'm not real impressed with the local Ford dealer. Not only are they expensive but they even charged me for looking for 2 warranty problems that they could not find. A short time later, I showed them the problem again and fair enough, they fixed it (electrical) but did not get a refund. They could not hear the clunking rear end but I can hear it evry day. Funny that! They quoted me $140 to flush and refill the cooling system. K-mart Auto will do the same for $70. I wanted some Goodyear tyres but was told by the Ford dealer I could not get a price until I turned up with the car for a service and spoke to a service advisor. I've got heaps more to say about this dealer's service department but I need to get some sleep tonight! I haven't got that many hours :blink: BTW, I got my Goodyear tyres at K-Mart, they had the best price in Cairns that I could find and they were helpful and gave good advice

I have been to a place in the city called KW Autos and I have found them efficient, easy to deal with and they do a good job. I've also had my wife's car there. They are Repco authorised and thay say they can do a proper service as per the book but a lot cheaper. I tried Ultratune here in Cairns and that was a worse experience than the Ford dealer :pooh: It's unfortunate to have to say that cos the Ultratune franchise in Darwin has a good reputation from what I hear.

Any other feedback from T owners in Cairns?

Edited by hafadude

• Member For: 18y 7m 24d
I paid $201.76 and that inc adjusting the hand brake, if that was 90 odd dollars worth farkkk $100 for the rest of the service inc oil change and filter I must have done alright the :spoton:

Was that at a Ford dealer??

If so, which one?

• still kicking around
  • Member For: 21y 6m 2d

repco also have nationwide warranties too, and they charge the same price all round australia too, but that price does seem over the top, I will check at work on our quotation system on wednesday

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 3d

Ok guys I know this oil subject has been done over and over again... But I have only seen threads when talking about T's with less kays. Would an older motor need thicker oil? Im about to have my 75,000k service and just wondering what oil to get... I bought the car second hand but it has been serviced at ford every service since new so im guessing they put in the standard stuff....

Castrol Edge and royal purple keep poping up in threads are these the way to go?

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 17d

You're right mate, the topic has been done a bit and you are going to get lots of opinions now........................

Keep it fully synthetic and keep it fresh regularly with filter (5000-7500kms changes) and you will be right.

You will get the opinions ranging from 0W as a minimum to 10W. The maximums will range from probably 40W to 60W.

Personally, I use Castrol Edge 10W-60 in summer and drop that to a 5W minimum in winter. I live in Qld where it is generally hotter in climate and have an engine that produces a lot more power than standard hence the higher weight oil.

I have used both 0W and 5W as a minimum and have had no discernible difference. So I will just stick with what I have.