Cheap Ass Plenum Modifications

• Member For: 18y 11m 24d

Hey peoples, I finished my plenum changeover (got one with the throttle body mount tigged into the reverse position) and it kicks ass. Everyone should have one.

Got the top plenum lying around and a spare throttle body. What about this - making a blanking plate to block off the original throttle body mount, sealed up with gasket goo and the original 4 bolts. This could even be made to look nice with some Ford badging.

Then on the other side, how about using the flat area of the casting to mount the throttle body? Use a holesaw to cut the correct size hole (3" I think) and then drill and tap 4 bolt holes into it to hold the throttle body on. Of course a thick gasket or O ring solution would be needed to seal it properly.

Anyone tried it? Thoughts? Pic attached.

post-7445-1166000988_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 19y 2m 20d

I guess everyone who owns a T thought of this at one stage. Looks like a better idea than the factory location. Maybe there should be an transition adapter bolted between the throttle body and the upper plenum? Easier to bolt up and seal than to weld for us home tuners.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 4d

ah cool

So, another way could be to, as you said, block the hole with a plate and cut the hole on the otherside and weld a 3in pipe directly to it... might be a bit rough on the inside though.

Whats the casting like on the inside ( flipped over ) could we get in there with the die grinder and make it smoother and maybe be gain some volume?

I'm off to the wreckers... an AU top section should be the same?

Edited by RAP1D

• Member For: 18y 11m 24d

Casting is pretty good on the inside - and could definately be attacked with a die grinder. I was trying to find some solutions that didn't involve TIG welding - for the home enthusiast.

Yeah an AU top plenum will do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 19y 3m 23d

Hi Guys,

I tried this as well using an AU plenum, the bolts that mount the throttle to the plenum are diferent size on the AU plenum, from memory they are 8mm and the BA throttle mounts up to the plenum using longer 6mm bolts. I hope this helps I never noticed until I was trying to mount the BA throttle body onto the completed project.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m
Casting is pretty good on the inside - and could definately be attacked with a die grinder. I was trying to find some solutions that didn't involve TIG welding - for the home enthusiast.

Yeah an AU top plenum will do it.

I was thinking about having mine extrusion honed top and bottom.

what do u guys think :blush: