Looking For A First Car.

LLV

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 12d

There's a P plater with a Phantom T (no spoiler) down here atm (Phillip Island). We have schoolies on and there's nice cars/daddies cars everywhere.

I'm not sure if the T is restricted because Victoria is still using the power/weight ratio. It's not until 2008 that the new legislation comes through that forbids you to drive V8's and Turbos.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 10d
There's a P plater with a Phantom T (no spoiler) down here atm (Phillip Island). We have schoolies on and there's nice cars/daddies cars everywhere.

I'm not sure if the T is restricted because Victoria is still using the power/weight ratio. It's not until 2008 that the new legislation comes through that forbids you to drive V8's and Turbos.

The T is well over the power to weight ratio, one of my mates has a T and his wife got done for driving it on her P's.

• Member For: 20y 1m 27d

don't want to turn you off it but the xr6 but they pretty expensive to run and own (ins isn't much better than turbo). I got an xt for my first, kinda wish I hadn't and got the T straight away or an economical car while I saved up for what I really wanted.

I think a tx3 turbo 4wd would make a great first car, as they handle well and have the potential to go pretty quick (low 14's or better with exhaust, intercooler and boost), however stock they are more then adequate, and I'd suggest as quick in a straight line as an NA xr6 (they do mid 15's stock, as quick as a vlt). Other decent first cars IMO (depending on what you want) are the DOHC Vtec civic's or sr20 pulsars.

I'm considering these for a second run arround myself, may be worth keeping once you get a T or what car floats your boat.

• Throbbing Member
  • Member For: 18y 4d
Go the T and de-badge it I did it for awhile when I was on my p's if your from vic it's only a $100 fine no demerit points and they dont keep a record of how many times you have been done.

Also insurance (Just cars) will insure you aswell but you will have to pay for it.

But them again maybe not for a first car but your falking out the money so buy what you want not what you have to.

:stupid: but take it easy on the throttle for a while.

• Member For: 17y 10m 18d

Go the xr6t if you can afford it, and by afford it I don't mean afford the repayments, you need to be able to make the repayments, insure it and look after it and have some cash on the side to still have a life. If you do, go do some track days and expreriment on the track in a controled environment where innocent people wont get hurt. Cause I was stupid when I first got my license. Ive only just got my opens last week and insurance for a t is a drama for me, I rang just cars and they laughed at me, but racq would insure me for $1600. I had a liscence suspension after a year of having my p's and lost my license for 6 months. 8 points and $700 hurt cause I was a second year apprentice. But ultimately its up to you.

cheers

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 13d

I think there has been one reply, who attempted to answer the questions asked. To that person well done. To the guy asking the question, if I could off had a good a car as an XR6 for a first car I would have been one very lucky lad. Mate if you can afford it go for it, love it and look after it, and it will look after you. Good luck and best wishes in whatever you decide.

Scotty

• Member For: 18y 26d

I think a tx3 turbo 4wd would make a great first car, as they handle well and have the potential to go pretty quick (low 14's or better with exhaust, intercooler and boost), however stock they are more then adequate, and I'd suggest as quick in a straight line as an NA xr6 (they do mid 15's stock, as quick as a vlt). 

I got my TX3 down to mid 12s with an internally stock motor. That said, the gear boxes are no stronger than paper and there isn't any way of strenghtening them.

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d
But a car for under 5k and save your money for a few years then invest it in something like a house :spoton:

not a bad suggestion, id suggest a share portfolio though, much better returns in shares atm

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 7d
But a car for under 5k and save your money for a few years then invest it in something like a house :msm:

not a bad suggestion, id suggest a share portfolio though, much better returns in shares atm

if only we'd all bought into the resources market in mid 03 :fool:

share price resembles xtremef6's power graph!!