Looking For A First Car.

LLV

• Member For: 18y 10m 30d

Hey mate I just turned 18 recently and bought a manual 5sp ba xr6 n/a and im pretty happy with it but if I had the extra cash I definately would of gone with the turbo. My old man has the turbo and is a much nicer car to drive and you wont have to spend up heaps on mods to get it going quick. In the end if you just want a cruiser get the n/a as it is a sweet looking car anyway.

Cheers,

Cam.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 2m 12d

I've got a BF XR6 as my first car although its a 4 speed auto (not many ex-demo/lease ones have the 6 speed). The last 6 months driving, the only near accidents I've had are other people on the road almost hitting me. The only way I can see you having an accident by yourself in one of these is either losing control while speeding or losing it in the wet.

Oh and the whole Auto vs Manual drag thing, have you ever considered that the Auto is only 4 speed while the manual is 5? First gear in the 4sp autos revs out to 90km/h or so. I believe the 5sp manual is aroun 75-80?

The extra 5k or so to get a turbo is worth it but not when you factor in insurance if you are a p-plater. You are better off getting an XR6 and either trading it in for a turbo later, or doing a complete engine swap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 19y 9m 2d

I wouldn't recommend a BA as a first car. A decent front wheel drive car would be much safer - I still remember getting completely sideways in my Dad's RWD cars!

Get something with a good crash rating, decent handling, ABS and airbags.

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 13d

Oh for f*cks sake, I have had enough of people trying to tell young blokes what they should and should not drive. Driving is an attitude thing, if you attitude sux, then it wont matter what you drive. To all the young guys and Gals, drive what you are legally allowed to, be safe and enjoy.

Scotty

Oh for f*cks sake, I have had enough of people trying to tell young blokes what they should and should not drive. Driving is an attitude thing, if you attitude sux, then it wont matter what you drive. To all the young guys and Gals, drive what you are legally allowed to, be safe and enjoy.

Scotty

If you go back to the start of the thread, the question was is a BA a good 1st car. So all I've done is post an answer.

There are worse 1st cars than a BA... like any Holden.

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 13d

Scotty

If you go back to the start of the thread, the question was is a BA a good 1st car. So all I've done is post an answer.

Mate while it must seem that my reply was directed at you, the truth is there have been several topics and they all pretty much end up the same. I have had a few and your post, prompted me to reply. But I was not directly targeting you.

Scotty

Scotty

Mate while it must seem that my reply was directed at you, the truth is there have been several topics and they all pretty much end up the same. I have had a few and your post, prompted me to reply. But I was not directly targeting you.

Scotty

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 6m 21d

hey mate, nice choice in first car, if u have the money I would go the turbo , I have a ba 03 xr6 auto and its my second car , still 18 though, and I am already moving on to the T, the n/a is good but is more of a family car. depending on how u drive, if u drive hard it drinks other wise its ok on fuel,

but like I said if u have the moeny go the T, but the n/a as a first car I still preety good and goes preety hard!