Looking For A First Car.

LLV

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 12d

I wouldn't recommend an XR6 as a first car. Nearly EVERY young driver has a prang (minor or major) in their first year of driving. I wrote off 2 cars in 2 years - both times not my fault. Although it wasn't my fault my reaction times and experience (17 years driving) has taught me different ways to avoid things that I would have probably crashed into when younger.

It's totally your decision though. I just know at 18 years old I wouldn't want a $20k loan hanging around my head.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 7m 26d

:blink:

I think the drawback on getting any first car are the costs involved (insurance, fuel, parts & service etc) which you may or may not be used too or couldn't care less about. That aside, as long as you're happy with your first ride, that's the main thing!

Money wise, the T is not that much more expensive that the NA depending where you get one and in what condition. Also, JustCar's will insure you but for a cost if you decide on the T.

Generally speaking, the XR6(T) hasn't had too many issues so either way they're a good car in my opinion.

Also I read recently that Ford may consider axing the 8 altogether but somehow I can't see that happening in a hurry, especially the fact that the V8 supercar series keeps getting bigger and better!

Despite can't standing Expensive Daewoo fullstop, the VE looks crap but goes. Whether either company release a new model based on another company or not, that's simply life as well as market competition.

In my opinion, get a T if you can else settle with what you're happy with. Either way and with whatever car you get, be sensible as I haven't seen too many smashed XR6(T)s..

:stupid:

Edited by Phevor

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 11d

Someone said, get the T and de-badge it as in VIC the fine is only $100. Just in case your a NSW resident, which im thinking you are, then dont. "Drive prohibited vehicle" is about $400 and 7 points straight up, which in turn will make you a suspended driver.

In relation to your main question of getting the N/A, I say dont do it. It still going to be a lot of car for a new driver, who will want to experiment and give it some alot of the time. I think you will crash it by going to hard and relying on the sh!t brakes or something.

I suggest you get a Corolla, Pulsar, small hatchback type of car, which you will have heaps of fun in and learn sh!t loads. We all drive cars, year after year, and become complacent as nothing happens. No accident, no loss of control, no wild deer running out in front of you or drink driver sweriving into your path and no police waiting for you in the bushes around the next bed. My point is that inevitbly this will happen and you will need every bit of experience to deal with it, including the police one.

Let us know how you get on.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 11d

One other quick thing. I think your going to get a huge response to your questions and we can see already that some are saying go for it and then the conservatives like me say no way.

Make your own decision on this one!

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 25d

Have to agree with Iconic there mate. I wouldnt bother spending too much on a first car. Get yourself and older four banger and and play around with it. With fuel prices and having such a big car as your first you may be biting off more than you can chew.

• Member For: 18y 26d

Sorry, I'm going to have to add to the list of that which you don't want to hear.

An N/A BA is more powerful than the V8's of just a few years back and in inexperienced hands can be lethal (especially in the wet).

To get a licence in Australia, you basically only have to demonstrate knowledge of the buracratic set road rules, but there are no real requirements on demonstrating vehicle skills.

When I was on my Ps, my parents wouldn't let me drive powerful cars (without them there), nor was I allowed to carry passengers or go with other P's driving. I hated it then (and of course broke their rules), because as a typical P plater I knew I was invincible. But, now I know better, and have learnt from my mistakes, I will be doing the same with my kids.

Start out with something smaller and cheaper, do some track days and learn what a car can do.

• Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 15d
Sorry, I'm going to have to add to the list of that which you don't want to hear.

An N/A BA is more powerful than the V8's of just a few years back and in inexperienced hands can be lethal (especially in the wet).

To get a licence in Australia, you basically only have to demonstrate knowledge of the buracratic set road rules, but there are no real requirements on demonstrating vehicle skills.

When I was on my Ps, my parents wouldn't let me drive powerful cars (without them there), nor was I allowed to carry passengers or go with other P's driving.  I hated it then (and of course broke their rules), because as a typical P plater I knew I was invincible.  But, now I know better, and have learnt from my mistakes, I will be doing the same with my kids.

Start out with something smaller and cheaper, do some track days and learn what a car can do.

The most powerful Ford of the 1990's was the EB GT/ED Sprint/EL GT. These all had around 190-200kw. The Barra 6 makes the best part of this to start with and that's with it's anemic exhaust and refined tuning. My EB V8 makes about 20kw less than the BA and about the same torque!

My first car on my P's was Carby XF, did that stop me going 'fast'? Yes. Did it stop me trying? No. Even 20 years ago, 100mph was still a big thing, even the smallest little econoboxes can now 'happily' bounce along at that and more. My old pintara would do 125mph!

These BA's will do 0-100 in 7seconds and top 130mph and only stop due to the limiter. That's quicker than XY GT's. Who would let their inexperienced kid drive one of those? Sure, they have ABS, SRS, ESP etc now but they only help once you get into a dangerous situation. They don't stop it from occuring.

Better off getting something like an earlier Falcon, EF/EL/AU. They have good equipment levels, including safety features. Are cheap enough to insure and repair and don't cost the earth to buy.

The thing I found with the 'cheap' economical Pintara I ahd, what I saved on fuel it cost in stupid high priced Japanese spares and repairs.

Lumpy :nono:

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d
Hey

I'm currently on the hunt for my first car, not buying anytime soon but I want to start my research. I've fallen in love with the XR6 but unfortunately cannot drive the XR6T on my Ps. So im currently looking into buying an XR6 (non turbo) manual probably first series BA 2002 as they are they cheapest, I've seen a few go for 18-19. I have a few questions n queries.

1. First of all, would you honestly recommend such a car for a first car? Not just because of its power, but for also for the costs of petrol n maintenance.

1a. How does the XR6 go for fuel economy?

2. I remember reading somewhere when the the BA first came out that the manual versions had some clutch complications and they had to be fixed, what actually happened and have all the issues been resolved?

3. The speedometer of the XR6s dont have a 'red line' section on the RPM meter, but there is a 'red line' section for the Kph section from 120kmh to 260kmh, I have no idea why this is so could someone please explain it to me

4. Just out of curiosity, is there anyword from Ford about a new falcon? Just curious as Ford and Expensive Daewoo usually release their new Commodores and Fords very close to each other and the VE has been out for a while now.

And.. I think that's it for now :)

Thanks guys

My advice - keep driving your current car and save your $$$, how old are you? Have you got the cash or will u take out a loan?

Then once u have more coin u can buy a better XR6/T.

• Member For: 18y 7m 27d

I've got a T and I've had mine ever since I've had my Ps, it's a car for the weekend only I drive a crappy old skyline on weekday and I don't go silly with the T, it's a nice fast car and I respect that, you're the only one that knows your mindset and if you can trust yourself with one. :nono:

• Member For: 19y 6m 6d

All good advice above, but at the end of the day, you will do what you want - as you should.

Another option - buy an XT - they go the same as an XR anyway, you may even pick one up with body kit etc like this one (though it is in NZ):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-75566487.htm

My first cars were modified small cars, probably had as much power to weight as the Falcons anyway, so.... just take it easy and get used to driving.

Have fun