Thermal Fans Running For Short Time After Engine S

THEMESHMAN260

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRAITOR
  • Member For: 21y 11m 8d
Would there be a danger in cooling an engine too quickly? I'd hate to think a head was cracked because too cold water was moving around an engine that wasn't producing any more heat.

There wouldn't be any coolant flowing through the engine. Your water pump is an ancillary, only runs while the engine turns.

Thus, I see no point to the excercise.

If you want air flow through the engine bay, get a high airflow 12 cm fan on a timer as an exhaust fan.

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 18y 4m 23d

I use a turbo timer and when I drive it hard and the timer is on it lets the cooling fans keep running aswell as leting the turbo slow down.

Every other turbo cars use timers why not the BA/BF's :censored:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 8d

Don't really need a timer on these cars.

The cooling system for the turbo etc 'keeps going' after the engine is switched off. Basically, being water cooled, the water reaches the turbo, cools it a bit and evaporates, and returns through the system including the radiator where it discharges the heat and turns back into water. It then reaches the turbo again, cools it a bit.....

The process keeps going until the turbo's cool enough and unable to sustain the process basically.

Having said that, after a hard drive I do idle the car for a few mins, to generally let everything cool down to a point of relative equilibrium. That or I take it easy for the last few kms. To me, the sound of hot engine components rapidly cooling down after an abrupt shutdown isn't indicative of 'looking after the car'.

Edit: shpellign.

Edited by Spruce

• Member For: 19y 3m 8d
...or thermosyphon :laughing:

:spoton:

I believe the use of a turbo timer isn't solely for cooling.

If you shut an engine down straight away after a hard blast the turbo is still spinning at incredible speeds but there is no oil flow or pressure to keep the turbo properly lubricated and the turbine shaft floated so damage can quickly occur. If you leave the engine running you are cooling the turbo but you are also slowing the turbo down while still providing oil to lubricate it.

This is true in a plane bush type turbo but the t’s run a ball bearing turbo so the turbine shaft doesn’t need to be floated by oil press so no damage is done.