Sct New Tuning Tool From Capa - Xcal 2

tupperware

• Member For: 19y 4d

I accept this as the price you pay for progress AND for functionality that I did not have before. I can sell my flash tuner to someone for probably $500 and I have just paid $700 odd for a great deal of improved functionality.

Lol exactly the point, the market will be flooded with good second hand units that will be much cheaper than the new ones, this will leave box loads on the CAPA shelves and mean that they have to then find the money to pay for shelf stock that will most likely never sell once you and others flood the market with second hand units. Have a guess who will fund the new shelves they have to buy.

I'm not looking to just save 2 years down the track but in effect save you and others that want it now, of course I want it now, but I have had issues with breaking diff bolts, 4 in 6 months and its stock. I don't break so many now because I only drive the car once or twice a month, but yes want to modify the car anyway.

Anyway, does anyone have any info??

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m
So, if we want/need to make some slight changes for example to fuelling, will this be done live or will the hand controller change the program and then we re-flash into the car??

According to my call to CAPA you can make minor percentage adjustments, using the XCAL 2 hand controller, which holds the flash maps, but these cannot be saved.... they are temporary adjustments.

Brian

My post a while ago is still relevant, if you (anyone) doesn't like the price, don't bloody well buy one. How simple is that?

F6 Rapid Im enjoy your posts very much even if on some issues we may be no opposite sides of a coin here and what I need to say has nothing to do with you mate so please don't see it that way.

But some of my posts here have been deleted because "I was said to be revisiting the same subject".

I don't want anyones posts deleted around here we all have good points and the truth about these products has to come out, so please moderating team let this yarn between friends continue, but if you have rules they have to apply to everyone not just some who may not share your personal views on this issue.

Again no pain intended towards you F6 Rapid :laughing:

• Member For: 19y 4d
According to my call to CAPA you can make minor percentage adjustments, using the XCAL 2 hand controller, which holds the flash maps, but these cannot be saved.... they are temporary adjustments.

Brian

As I see it the adjustments will be good for R&D that the end user can perform themselves, if they record any changes and results they can then go back and get the changes made permanent. Real results are in the real world not on the dyno, the dyno is great to tune the car but you won't know how it reacts to a persons driving style and abilities until you get it on the road/track.

Edited by XRQTR

Brian

Now that makes you think Brian,

If a tuner was to give somone a custom tune for lets say an XR6T upping the vehicles out put by lets say 35rwkw instead of the 40rwkw that may be able to be gained, the tuner would leave room for the customer to have a play with the tune (crazy as this may sound) and feel like they got value for money out of the new product. Strange. :laughing:

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 16d
So, if we want/need to make some slight changes for example to fuelling, will this be done live or will the hand controller change the program and then we re-flash into the car??

Brian

Brian, apart from my laziness in not calling capa myself......................., so when you make a change on the controller, is it permanent? or does it revert to the standard (custom) tune when the car is switched off or does it retain the change until we change it back?

As I see it the adjustments will be good for R&D that the end user can perform themselves, if they record any changes and results they can then go back and get the changes made permanent. Real results are in the real world not on the dyno, the dyno is great to tune the car but you won't know how it reacts to a persons driving style and abilities until you get it on the road/track.

Like say for backing off the boost a bit to get it off the line easier when your drag racing? Small changes could be a good thing, but it leaves you wondering what your Air/Fuel may up to, think this is where Live Wire with all its real time feed back may be the product we'll all need to do this kind to thing with out stuff ups.

Edited by NOS XR

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 5d

ok ok ok, I think I've got it.

Hypothesis: Changes made to the program in the xcal2, when uploaded to the ECU are permanent within the ECU.

--> ie if you up the max boost by 0.5psi, the max boost will always be up 0.5psi.

HOWEVER, that max boost wont be saved in the xcal2, so when you flash the tune in again, the original max boost is flashed in.

YES?? Please say yes, this is hurting my brain.

Edited by SavageD

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m

Brian

Now that makes you think Brian,

If a tuner was to give somone a custom tune for lets say an XR6T upping the vehicles out put by lets say 35rwkw instead of the 40rwkw that may be able to be gained, the tuner would leave room for the customer to have a play with the tune (crazy as this may sound) and feel like they got value for money out of the new product. Strange. :laughing:

Until I know more about the product I don't really see much advantage in this capability to make trimming changes. I'll find out when I have it installed shortly.

I had a Power FC for 5 years, and the only thing I ever changed was the timing, when I noticed some pinging, and took a couple of degrees out. I then needed to go back to the tuner, who had previously done an aggressive tune.

If you wanted to go the track, where you were going to use much better fuel, I'd rather have a separate map set up for that situation.

Maybe I may want to increase the idle speed slightly.

Whatever capability I have to make changes I'd want to discuss with the tuner. The last thing I'd want to do is fiddle and cause a problem.

Tuning is far more complex than just making a constant change e.g adding same 2 degress timing across a whole rev range.

Maybe there is a capability to add a few pounds of boost, but that may only work effectively with octane booster.... could be useful, but then again my STi has a simple high/higher boost switch (1 bar to 1.8 bar! , instant)

A tuner will have to look very carefully at what the user can do.

Logging may be a very useful facility.

For those that like to fiddle, have fun.

Brian