Warped Manifold

docoom

• Member For: 18y 2m 25d

after tightening the manifold bolts for the third time, I decided to ring around for a cure.ring ford and they say if they do the job then if they come loose again it's their problem to fix. Me thinks cool coz sure as sh*te they will come loose again and they can fix it :censored: Get the call from ford...hey dude ya manifolds warped from bein loose for so long...what ? for an hour at most till they were tightened again :censored: No wukkas ole mate get it machined. job done but deemed by ford not good enough so done again. after machining twice and still warped they tell $1500 to fit newie. Can anyone tell me how much warp is too much coz I'm goin down there tommoz with my micrometer and dial gauge to check em out. they're probably only out by .001 but these clowns wanna scalp me for more of the hard earned stuff. Anyone had this problem (the manifold ,not ford)??

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 25d

Would think that'd be a warranty repair job. If it's warped through their lack of attention then I'm f*cked if I'd be paying for it.

Would think that'd be a warranty repair job.  If it's warped through their lack of attention then I'm f*cked if I'd be paying for it.

Unfortunately it's out of warranty, but because it is a known common problem(loose bolts) I will be arguing the price.

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 9m 20d

If you can I would get it done somewhere other than ford. When I was getting prices for an LSD installation they priced it at $4000 then they wanted $3100 for a new clutch flywheel and csc which was just the stock unit which comes in the standard XR6. In my experience they rip you off.

• Member For: 18y 5m 29d

Having built turbo manfolds myself, ok here is the go. Welded up the manifold. Took to the surface of the header plate with an orbital sander ot make it flat, didnt pay some stooge to machine it. Put it on gaskets, permatex copper gasket sealer on either side...Manifold never leaked...and the times the car ran for the development that went into it speak for itself. Im sure that even though I braced teh turbo base plate I didnt brace the header plate, thick as it was im sure it would have had some warp in it. Id be telling ford to put the bloody thing back on gasket seal either side and stop being pedantic fools. :stirthepot:

thanks to everyone for your advice and offers of parts.

Just got back from ford after inspecting my manifold. The dopes that machined it totally stuffed it so I told ford to sort out between themselves and their machine shop as to who was buying me a new manifold,and to my total surprise there were no arguments, just appologies and thanks for my input. Ends up that the head to manifold surface was good, but turbo mating surface was stuffed and machined so far that one stud hole had only four turns of thread left in it :laughing:

Anyone that lives on the central coast (N.S.W) will know the CLUTCH AND BRAKE dopes who done the "machining" if not pm me and I'll give their name offline so you can steer clear of them.I've had dealings with these clowns before and vowed never to go back, pity ford could'nt see how incompetent they are.