18l / 100km

byi

• Member For: 18y 1m 21d

I;ve got the same problem as the original poster. I get 18L/100k around town, a fantastic 15L/100k highway driving on cruise.

This is backed by both the the fuel usage guage, and by the tank vs km calculations. 250k out of a tank is sh*t, and Ford refuse to accept anything is wrong.

The published figures for driving are well below this - a 50% difference is not acceptable, and I'm starting to consider asking them to take the car back.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 1m

My BF has just on 2,000ks on the clock so the motor is still tight. Around town I average high 14s (which I think is pretty crap). My best on a freeway run was 9.0 from Newcastle to Sydney. These cars have a massive difference between city an hwy useage.

By comparison, my Forester XT (2.5 turbo) uses high 13s to low 14s around town and 11s on the freeway. Put a trailer on and the Forester will jump into the 16 on a freeway run. All things considdered, the XR average is better.

• Member For: 20y 3m 14d
I;ve got the same problem as the original poster. I get 18L/100k around town, a fantastic 15L/100k highway driving on cruise.

This is backed by both the the fuel usage guage, and by the tank vs km calculations. 250k out of a tank is sh*t, and Ford refuse to accept anything is wrong.

The published figures for driving are well below this - a 50% difference is not acceptable, and I'm starting to consider asking them to take the car back.

I would say that its most likely the oxygen sensor being faulty. One way to test is on a cold morning, start it up and put it immediately in reverse. If it starts coughing and spluttering for a few seconds after until you add a bit of gas then its running too rich in which case the oxy sensor is buggered.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 19d

15 litres/100km whilst highway cruising in a 6 sp manual sounds excessive.

Is this the figure that appears in the real time display (not average) whilst holding a constant 110kph speed in 6th on a flat road ???

If you bought your car second hand, it is possible the previous owner had played around with the car... eg bigger injectors (or maybe drilled out stock injectors :spit: )

I don't know how many Km you do, but if you do over 15000 a year, you can save yourself probably about $1000 a year in fuel by fitting an edit and custom tune (which will set you back about $1500.

Plenty guys here will confirm you'll get better than 10l/100km on highway cruise with a custom edit tune. Especially in a manual.

Like I stated before, I get consistent 10.2 l/100 average doing the Adelaide~Melbourne interstate run. One tank (80 litres) gets me there.

And I have an auto ute with bigger injectors and over 300 rwkw.....

Think about it.

A custom edit tune will give you a performance hike AND better fuel economy, and assuming there are no problems with the motor, you should be able to recover the cost in a touch over a year.

:pooh:

But then again, if you're like most of us, the temptation to put the foot down with the added performance will increase tyre wear.... :crybaby:

cheers

tom

• Member For: 19y 3m 14d

around town in canberra I hover between 12 and 13.5 depending how I drive. Going to sydney usually goes under 10L depending how many cars I choose to overtake using my right foot and not cruise control. Going to tumut from canberra which is quite hilly compared to sydney uses about 10.5L to 11L again depending on how often I use my foot!

Can't complain with those figures. AND its running 300+rwkw. In saying that, I'd hate to drive it in stop start, never out of 3rd gear type traffic :crybaby: Canberra is lucky because most of the time you can get it into 4th or 5th and keep it there for while :pooh: plus you can belt it in the lower gears to make up for the lack of fuel consumption when cruising :spit:

• Member For: 19y 3m 14d
bit drastic :pinch:

Would take quite a few thousand k's to recover the amount you're losing on the sale in fuel savings.

I agree

spend approx $1000 on a custom tune edit for economy. surely it can't be that bad :spoton:

just read your ad mate, how much did you pay for the mal wood short throw?? I want one, but I'm worried the moment I buy it, the T5 will kaboom itself, making it a pointless expenditure :blink:

Edited by JimmyXR6T04