Fog Lights/ Driving Lights

Guest cul08r

• The Best Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 7d
The Australian Road Rules do cover the use of fog lights. Rear fog lights can only be used in conditions of reduced visibility. Front fog lights are only included as lights that are likely to "dazzle" another user.

217 Using rear fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not

operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other

hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

219 Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users

A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or

in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to

dazzle, another road user.

Whilst they are the National road rules, 219 is open to some interpretation by individual jurisdictions.

When I made my earlier post about the Australian Road Rules, I meant that there were no rules that refered specifically to the use of front fog lights.

I believe that some states do have rules that specifically apply to front fog lights though.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 8d

I wish I had my fog lites on ,whilst a moron decided to change lanes without looking in his blindspot,this action wrote my car off and scared the sh*t out of me.I now frequently use parking&fog lights so the many magoos will see me. :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 2m 3d

Well the mark 2 will have automatic headlights on feature

Now to be honest, the headlights shine higher than the fog/spotlights what ever they may be. and the headlights are brighter.

So where is the arguement ?

Ken

• Former XT pilot
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 24d

ffs... who really cares about foglights on or off :shifty:

why are they so much worse than headlights? they sit lower? :blink:

I don't see the big problem about them :shifty:

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 19d
The Australian Road Rules do cover the use of fog lights. Rear fog lights can only be used in conditions of reduced visibility. Front fog lights are only included as lights that are likely to "dazzle" another user.

Whilst they are the National road rules, 219 is open to some interpretation by individual jurisdictions.

It is not that the interpretation is different, it is the fact that the states did not accept the national road rules and all came up with there own individual rules based on the national road rules. All states used different percentages of the rules when they were released. Regardles of that fact.

1. Foglights can only be used in fog or rain or sandstorm.

2. Driving lights can only be used when there is no traffic in front. Same conditions as highbeam.

3. Any lights below the headlights are classified as foglights.

4. Foglights have a different shape to the rear of the globe, and this can affect other drivers when approaching. ( This being myself, who needs to see anyway)

5. They have been included by Ford in the case of fog as an extra safety measure, not for the physical appeal.

6. At work I stop every one that I can and I have no problems writing the accociated ticket. Any problems and I'm happy for a day in court.

My fog lights are only turned on during rain or *beep* no other time and no one has hit me during the day because they couldn't see my car. It is possible that accidents may be caused as a direct result of fog lights when they are not used during the correct conditions.

My 2 cents worth.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 6d

Slymeat> Correct on all counts ... ooops except no.3. It is NOT the position of the lights that determines whether they are fog lights or not. It is the design and beam pattern.

Now it is true that fog lights must not be positioned above the low beams (centre by centre) but it is not necessarily true that other (driving) lights may not be positioned below the low beams also. Generally fog lights are more effective if they are close (about 200 - 300mm) to the ground and driving lights are more effective when they are close to the driver's eye level.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 30d
Slymeat> Correct on all counts ... ooops except no.3. It is NOT the position of the lights that determines whether they are fog lights or not. It is the design and beam pattern.

Now it is true that fog lights must not be positioned above the low beams (centre by centre) but it is not necessarily true that other (driving) lights may not be positioned below the low beams also. Generally fog lights are more effective if they are close (about 200 - 300mm) to the ground and driving lights are more effective when they are close to the driver's eye level.

Driving lights must be mounted On or above the bumper bar and below the headline of the Driver....(I.e. NOT ON THE ROOF)

If the RTA and other agencies, pink slip agents etc. actually did their job and enforced this, there would be a heap of un-registerable 4WD out there.

While on the subject of Fog lights, who cares... lets see someone out there booking people for not keep "left unless overtaking" and for failing to slow down in designated Work site areas.

These are by far more dangerous issuses that Fog lights being on or off.

Edited by Grass

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 6d
Driving lights must be mounted On or abouve the bumper bar and below the headline of the Driver....(I.e. NOT ON THE ROOF)

Nope, that is not true either. There is no legislation in any state of Australia that requires driving lights to be mounted above the bumper. Nor do any refer to the driver's headline. They do however place a maximum height which in most cases is 1.2m from memory. They do also stipulate roof mounting of any forward facing lights is illegal as you say, except for emergency services vehicles.

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 30d
dont like it? get stuffed.

im damned well gunna use its features!

Have you used the jack?

Not Scotty

The Australian Road Rules do cover the use of fog lights.  Rear fog lights can only be used in conditions of reduced visibility.  Front fog lights are only included as lights that are likely to "dazzle" another user.

It is not that the interpretation is different, it is the fact that the states did not accept the national road rules and all came up with there own individual rules based on the national road rules. All states used different percentages of the rules when they were released. Regardles of that fact.

1. Foglights can only be used in fog or rain or sandstorm.

2. Driving lights can only be used when there is no traffic in front. Same conditions as highbeam.

3. Any lights below the headlights are classified as foglights.

4. Foglights have a different shape to the rear of the globe, and this can affect other drivers when approaching. ( This being myself, who needs to see anyway)

5. They have been included by Ford in the case of fog as an extra safety measure, not for the physical appeal.

6. At work I stop every one that I can and I have no problems writing the accociated ticket. Any problems and I'm happy for a day in court.

My fog lights are only turned on during rain or *beep* no other time and no one has hit me during the day because they couldn't see my car. It is possible that accidents may be caused as a direct result of fog lights when they are not used during the correct conditions.

My 2 cents worth.

Wouldnt be australia by any chance :censored:

When a country starts off with every state having a differnt width rail gauge,what fcuken hope is there down the track :w00t2:

Imagine this joint if the japs would have got it,The yanks would be shaking in their bloody boots,

What about wog lights

vik