Fog Lights/ Driving Lights

Guest cul08r

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 16d
What I am running isn't really allowed....
OK, gotcha. Thanks dude. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

It's a good thing there aren't any c0ps on this forum! :spoton:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 16d

:spoton: Revved, I was joking. Of course there are... we have a pretty decent sample of performance car enthusiasts on here, chances are there will be more than one or two members of the constabulary!

If they're illegal to unless certain conditions prevail, then they're illegal. They're called "Fog Lights" in my User Manual and everywhere else I've seen any official reference to them (such as features lists). I was pulled over and told they weren't to be used unless it was foggy or visibility was poor so I switched them off and haven't used them since, except in fog, etc. That's good enough for me.

• Member For: 20y 18d
The best thing to do would be remove the lights and add some ducts to help brake cooling, there in the perfect spot.

Wouldnt that be illeagle, removing factory fitted safety device to fit a non approved performance modification?

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests

Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) (Road Rules) Regulation 1999 / Division 5 / Lights on vehicles / Clause 55a

A person must not cause or permit:

(a) any fog light affixed to a motor vehicle on a road to be lighted except in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

This is NSW Legislation and may not be relevant in other states.

Under the Australian Road Rules / Part 13 / Lights and warning devices / 215(3)

a driver driving during the day in fog, or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, may drive without the headlights of the driver’s vehicle operating if the vehicle is fitted with front fog lights and those lights are operating effectively and are clearly visible.

and in the same

217(1) / Using rear fog lights

The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

Cheers

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests

And another from Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005

6.3. FRONT FOG LAMP

6.3.1. Presence

Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.

6.3.2. Number

Two.

6.3.3. Arrangement

No special requirement.

6.3.4. Position

6.3.4.1. In width: that point on the apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis which is farthest from the vehicle's median longitudinal plane shall not be more than 400mm from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle.

6.3.4.2. In height:

Minimum: Not less than 250mm above the ground.

Maximum: For M1 category vehicles not more than 800mm above the ground; For all other categories of vehicles no maximum height. However, no point on the apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis must be higher than the highest point on the apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis of the dipped-beam headlamp.

6.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle. This requirement shall be deemed to be satisfied if the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly, or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.

6.3.5. Geometric visibility

Defined by angles alpha and beta specified in paragraph 2.13.,

alpha = 5 degrees upwards and downwards,

Beta = 45 degrees outwards and 10 degrees inwards.

6.3.6. Orientation

Towards the front.

The alignment of the front fog lamps must not vary according to the angle of lock of the steering.

They must be directed forward without causing undue dazzling or discomfort to oncoming drives and other road users.

6.3.7. Electrical connections

It must be possible to switch the front fog lamps on and off independently of the main- beam headlamps, the dipped-beam headlamps or any combination of main- and dipped- beam headlamps.

6.3.8. Tell-tale

Circuit-closed tell-tale mandatory. An independent non-flashing warning light.

Cheers

• Member For: 18y 3m 3d

Just a quick check then if u do use the fog lights when your driving at night time, or on the high way, say yes in your reply if you dont say no, I do I always use them on highway and whilst driving at night. alot of my night driving is at the highway anyway..

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 9d
This is NSW Legislation and may not be relevant in other states......

Qld is something along the lines of 'not dazzling other road users' so it's purely open to personal interpretation (of the bloke in blue of course).