Leaking Diff

XtRmn8

• Member For: 18y 10m 27d
.... and they seem to hate being told to drain the diff and refill it with the correct oil.  Seems to go against the grain!    :laughing:

How do figure out that they used the wrong oil? Do they write it down on the worksheet or something stupid like that?

• Complete Bastard
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 19d

How do figure out that they used the wrong oil? Do they write it down on the worksheet or something stupid like that?

Once written on the job sheet, the second time I thought I would check and there was the distinctive smell of hypoid oil. When confronted, they revealed what they had put in.

• Complete Bastard
  • Donating Members
Humph!  I'm glad you know what hypoid oil smells like!  :spoton: I'd be lucky to be able to tell you the colour, let alone what sort of oil it was....

Trust me, if you have smelled hypoid gear oil, you will remember it for life. It is one of those distinctive smells that has no parallels.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 4d

Hey waddaya think the odds are, of me rocking up to Ford with Castrol SAF-XA 80/140 to have put in the diff at the next service, and NOT getting an argument from them?

• Complete Bastard
  • Donating Members

You shouldn't need to do that, the service book says that is what is meant to be used anyway. The fact that they want to use their recycled fish n chip oil in the diff is where I have the issue.

I bet that if the diff broke under warranty and was sent back to the manufacturer, if it had the wrong oil in it, they would try to deny your warranty claim.

When I still had MOFO service my car, the point blankly refused to allow me to supply Castrol R synthetic oil for the engine oil change. I had to use what they supplied so I declined that offer. And then when I said, I would change the oil, they refused to stamp the service book. I won't mention the dealer however, there are some real c0cks at Artarmon in Sydney.