Leaking Diff

XtRmn8

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 1d

My diff has been leaking for about 2 months. It would drip one drop per week and at the last ford service I was told that it was the left drive shaft seal that was leaking and it was recommended that both be changed. Anyway as of yesterday the diff has started to leak at a much higher rate and it getting pretty bad. I think the 3am run home fooked them :spoton:

How long would it take to remove both drive shafts and change the seals and reassemble everything?? I was given a quote by ford but to me it’s very high.

Can anyone help?? Any WA sponsors please give me a quote on labour and 2 seals.

Cheers :laughing:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m
My diff has been leaking for about 2 months. It would drip one drop per week and at the last ford service I was told that it was the left drive shaft seal that was leaking and it was recommended that both be changed. Anyway as of yesterday the diff has started to leak at a much higher rate and it getting pretty bad. I think the 3am run home fooked them  :spoton:

How long would it take to remove both drive shafts and change the seals and reassemble everything?? I was given a quote by ford but to me it’s very high.

Can anyone help?? Any WA sponsors please give me a quote on labour and 2 seals.

Cheers  :laughing:

I have just changed the diff centre on my car due to noise and leak, and I would estimate about 3-4 hours to do the job.

A fair amount has to be disassembled to get the driveshafts out, and then the seal change itself on top.

What did Ford quote you?

Is your car out of warranty?

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
I have just changed the diff centre on my car due to noise and leak, and I would estimate about 3-4 hours to do the job.

A fair amount has to be disassembled to get the driveshafts out, and then the seal change itself on top.

What did Ford quote you?

............I was just reading your thread about the diff change! How much was the 3.46 LSD from wrecker?

Yea car is out of warranty. Ford quoted me $480 to do both seals.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m

What did Ford quote you?

............I was just reading your thread about the diff change! How much was the 3.46 LSD from wrecker?

Yea car is out of warranty. Ford quoted me $480 to do both seals.

I paid $650 + freight, and the diff is virtually new.

Hopefully fixes the whine and the leak in one hit :laughing:

• Complete Bastard
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 19d

It took MOFOCO about 4.5 hours to do my seals however, the extra half hour was spent burring over the end of my wheel hub using a rather large hammer. And that would not be a problem if you never wanted to take the brake disc off. For some reason, it did not want to slide over the mushroomed end.

And yes, the workshop manger was aghast at the shoddy workmanship.... and I was particularly pissed at the service desk guy after he accused me of having done it myself. Fuggin idiot.

Is it a big job... no,.... if you do it correct the first time.

$480 sounds very rich to me.

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members

I just booked it in to get done this Friday by Ford.

I got the price down to $400, that's 4 hours labour + 2 seals + diff oil. Considering they charge $85/hour for labour, it looks about right. As long as it gets done right it'll be happy!

:spoton:

• Member For: 19y 3m 18d

Hey Guys,

Had mine done a 2 months ago under warranty, not that that was a problem.

Just had some new rubber fitted and according to my tyre guy the rear wheel allignment was out -6 degrees on the right and +3 degrees on the left, work that one out :spoton: No wonder it was loose as in the wet!!!

My take on it is to make sure u get a wheel alignment done after they stuff around with the diff.

Scotty

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
Hey Guys,

Had mine done a 2 months ago under warranty, not that that was a problem.

Just had some new rubber fitted and according to my tyre guy the rear wheel allignment was out -6 degrees on the right and +3 degrees on the left, work that one out  :spoton:  No wonder it was loose as in the wet!!!

My take on it is to make sure u get a wheel alignment done after they stuff around with the diff.

Scotty

Cheers for that!! I'll make sure I mention it to them :spoton:

................so it seems that diff leaks are common in the BA?? Mine has done 80000km now. Other then that no other oil leaks what so ever, I had a look at the car while it was on a hoist not long ago and the engine and gearbox are very clean :blush:

• Complete Bastard
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 19d

No, I don't think leaks are common. They had replaced my CV joints which were screwed and had damaged the diff seals when reassembling the shaft/diff. Basically, rough workmanship, not poor diff seals.

Make sure that use the correct oil when they refill the diff. I have had two occasions now where they have used a hypoid diff oil and that is clearly not what is required in these diffs. The specs require Castrol SAF-XA 80w 140 which is a fully synthetic oil with Sturaco LSD additive built in See specs here. The workshops seem to adopt the attitude that "diff oil is diff oil and we will use what we have on hand". MOFOCO gave specs for a reason and I wish they would get their workshops to follow those specs.

.... and they seem to hate being told to drain the diff and refill it with the correct oil. Seems to go against the grain! :spoton: