$2 A Litre And Beyond

• Member For: 18y 8m 22d

2 things that get up my goat about the cost of petrol are that:

1- It ain't costing anymore to source or refine, just that supply is restricted/uncertain. So Oil companies are profiteering from their own dependence.

2. The media conditions us to expect these price rises well ahead of time. A self-fulfilling prophecy is thus created, as what corporation wouldn't charge more when it's customers are expecting it.

Also, for industry, oil is an input to production. Just like labour is. Yet under Johnny Howard's latest war on the worker, if we restrict our supply of labour, then in many industries, that input to production can be declared an essential service, and all rights to industrial action are prohibited.

It's good to know that our govt values the rights of fossil fuel above it's people.

Rant off.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 2d

I am actually thinking of getting a second car as a run around. Some thing cheap to run for back and forward to work.

T, just for the weekends.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 22d
Having moved back to Oz two years ago from having lived in europe for 6 years.  I can say this:

Australia is truely the lucky country.  Anybody doesn't believe it, go and find out for yourself. 

Most countries in europe have much higher taxes.  Not just income but when you look at the total.  Such as mention before environmental, GST etc etc.  Yes some countries actually use the money to provide for its people.  But it comes down to this.  You can do so much more with your money here than just about anywhere else in the world.  And that is mainly on the large cost item such as cars, houses, swimming pool, boats etc.  You just can't beat the dollar v's lifestyle that is available in Oz.  I was paying AU$2.40 for 98RON and it cost twicethe insurance on a car that was one third the value of my T.

The biggest problem with rising fuel prices is that it does make everything else dearer too.  That is why most things are so expensive in europe almost everything is transported by road.

Plus saying that we have to travel more in Oz isn't totally accurate either.  Just because it is a big place does not mean you have to live far from work.  I had to travel 160km each day to get to work and back.  Because that is where work was available.  Plus the cost of relocating is huge as there are no houses (too many people and no space) available and all asociated cost are huge aswell.

In Australia we have the opportunity to keep these things in check, as they will change.  This because we haven't reached that stage yet and things will get harder because of availability of goods and peoples never ending hunger for everything.

Just my opinion.  Australia provides you with the best option for a rewarding lifestyle... make the most of it.  :pooh:

Baz

where were you living??

and we do travel more km's in our cars per year on average then europeans... hence fuel companies sell more fuel :pooh:

Yes, we live in a great place which is why I live here. Doesnt mean we wont get ripped on fuel prices :spoton:

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d
My "T" is only a Sunday car which is why I only average 6000klm per year. My major fuel costs will be when I go water skiing, because a 140hp V6 2stroke outboard can suck fuel in a lot quicker than the "T". :pooh:

Clarke

haaa yeah I feel your pain.......filling up the old mans boat which runs 2x 10.4 L V8 turbo diesels (& a 1400 L tank!!!!) is kinda pushing the budget!!!!!! Makes the T seem like I'm filling the lawn mower :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 8m 13d

I'm gonna stop drinking as much beer (when it gets to $3 at least). This will help in 2 ways. 1 Being that I'll have more spare cash to pay for fuel, 2 being that I may loose a kilo or two and weigh less meaning less fuel consumption :pooh:

Nah Fug it I'm gonna burn a flag and shout loudly at somebody not listening!:spoton:

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 20y 1m 29d

Maybe if we didnt buy fuel for one day the price would drop by 10c...

:laughing::gooff:

On a serious note, who says the oil is going to "run out" in 8 years? The issue of world oil consumption is something that needs to be addressed before we decide that all our cars are going to be useless. The US uses soooooooooooo much oil for energy, surely the simple switch to gas will save everyone big bucks?! A gas turbine costs so much less to run to produce the same power. Wouldnt this free up a load of resources for other areas?

MAYBE in 50 years time, it will become pertinent to get everyone out of petrol powered vehicles and into something else, MAYBE motorsport will become a work of chemical genius for racing teams to come up with a fuel that will get them over the line quicker at less expense. MAYBE there will be an alternative fuel which superseeds petrol and lower cost.

Where there's a will, there's a way I reckon. We'll find a way, so just put up with it and enjoy your car while you have it.

• Member For: 19y 3m 4d

I think you guys are looking at the small picture!

There is more to worrie about than spending an extra $5 per tank in your private car! Every thing will increase, transport and manufacturing co's aren't going to cop the increase on the chin (and nor they should), they will pass on the cost ect....

Our wages aren't going to rise with these increased fuel pirces! therefor we will be worse off!

As for not having anything to winge about.... ha! If we dont winge the goverment doesn't listen!

So you guys can go ahead and NOT have a say, but don't critisize me or anyone else for winging about our whole living expence increasing!!!

Sorry just my 2c worth

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m

Sorry guys, but I work in the oil service industry (now before you shoot me, not for an oil company), so my income potential increases with the price of oil :spoton:

I hope to be able to do more business, making my operation more successful, and as a result get better salaries for my employees and myself.

This is probably true for people in other sectors of the resources and energy sector, as a booming market, generally provides better pay :blush:

• Member For: 20y 4m 14d
Sorry guys, but I work in the oil service industry (now before you shoot me, not for an oil company), so my income potential increases with the price of oil :spoton:

I hope to be able to do more business, making my operation more successful, and as a result get better salaries for my employees and myself.

This is probably true for people in other sectors of the resources and energy sector, as a booming market, generally provides better pay :w00t2:

BURN THE WITCH!! :blush: