Auto Up Windows

xr6tblueprint

• Member For: 18y 9m 28d

My Gf's TS Astra has auto up and down on all windows...

To my knowledge they work by sensing how much current (power) the window motor is drawing. The motor will suck more current if its trying to close the window with someones arm in the way or at the end of window travel...

Like XXXR6T, I took one look at the control module in the drivers door and realised trying to reverse engineer it to add auto up would be a bs hassle.

Having said that places like Jaycar sell after market units to close your windows when you arm the alarm.

They connect in line with the power window motors, however they just make the window go all the way up when activated, which is good for winding up your windows when you arm the alarm, but bad when you want to use the orignal button to wind up your window a little as well as all the way up...

You could use one of those or something similar to add auto up to your T.

However, the hassle of holding the "up" button with one hand and holding fast food in the other while steering with the knees is less hassle than designing or addapting a unit to make it go up by itself.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 5m 30d

Posted by me on Jun 3 2004....

from thread: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...topic=11106&hl=

Yes, a lot of cars have them. My old 1982 Honda Accord (fully imported) had them!

I think they dont do a auto windows up function as they are prone to failure (or rather stopping before the window is fully up)

They work by using an inductor to hold a solenoid that is controlled by the current that is flowing through the inductor. Once the window is up, the current required is large, and as a result it drops the solenoid. (ie, it releases the "up" button)

The problem here is that the reistance to put the window up changes depending on a number of factors. For instance, when it is cold, the windows tend to move slower as everything is tighter. Another one is that as a vehicle ages, the motors become tighter due to a reduction in lubrication .

The result of this is that the window will stop midway as opposed to only when its up as the physical "resistance" is higher than it would be when the car was new.

Car manufactures could tune the circuit so that the window only stops only when faced with MAJOR resistance, (ie, lack of lubrication is not so significant) but then there are safety concerns that are breached.

Cheers,

Ross

Edited by Ford_Power

• Member For: 21y 8m 1d

Hi Guys,

I dug up this old thread where I posted about a module I designed to do exactly this.

Automatic Windows Thread

I have then on all 4 of my windows in the XR6T which means I have fully automatic up and down from the drivers door control or the passenger door control.

I also use them in my wifes Toyota and they work a treat there too.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 27d

So would you consider making these as I am hopeless at soldering?

And if so can you give us a quote for each unit.

Cheers,

Brett

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 11m 6d

I know this thread is for Auto UP windows but I was wondering if anyone knows how to modify the BA XR6 ute drivers window for Auto DOWN.

For some reason Ford has missed this feature out on the ute as I know the sedans have it.

• XR68UZ
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 22d

my friend can install auto up and down windows, alarms etc etc. I think he charges 110 for the auto window thing.

I find the lack of auto up to be even more of a danger.I don't mean to meddle or anything what if your driving and suddenly theres some toxic gas ahead? you'd have to wind up your windows. but hang on, we must keep holding onto the switch, which means we only have 1 hand on the wheel. all of a sudden, a cow jumps out of nowhere right in front your car but you cant avoid it because of lack of arm muscles in the left arm.

maybe we could have a sticker saying "yes it has auto down, but if your driving through toxic gas, just hold your breath"

I've got my eye on you ;)

• Member For: 18y 27d

Auto up costs money that Ford just can't spend on their cars.

Aparently you can get a Ford Factory auto up adapter from your local dealer. It consists of a cut down paddle pop stick with a Ford logo on it. Simply jam the stick under the switch to make the wondow go up. It retails for just $799.95 ans is listed under the part number of **##upstick799. :blink:

All jokes aside, I did send a letter to Ford Australia when the BA utes were released as I wanted to upgrade by AUII XR6, but was dissapointed that the auto window down switch and premium sound wasn't available on the ute, no traction control and the ute's window switches are cheesily from the base sedans (the back two switches blanked out), hence no auto down. Ford Customer Service did call me as a follow-up and their reasoning is that the ute being a work orientated car, their customers didn't want features like premium sound and auto windows. They could'nt answer when I asked why is the floor carpeted and leather offered as an option in these workhorses then, and why was premium sound available standard in the AU utes but not the BA. I know some of these things have now been added or made available since, but at the time they lost my sale.:fool:

• Member For: 17y 11m 6d
my friend can install auto up and down windows, alarms etc etc. I think he charges 110 for the auto window thing.

Thanks Jaeyon but me being in Perth means I'm probably too far for your mate to drop around one day.

I was thinking though, is there some module that I might be able to get from a wreckers ex sedan that I can swap out with the one in my ute? Unfortunatly I dont yet have a manual of the electrics for this car so at the moment its all just guesswork.