Errors Found.. Help Please!

pumped81

• Member For: 19y 11m 17d
Pumped81,

Firstly if your car is still covered by the 3year/100,000km warranty then you can have it looked at and repaired at "ANY" Ford dealer in the country.

Code P1340 indicates there is either a problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor CID2(I6 Exh camshaft) sensor circuit or sensor coherency(a difference in both cam sensor readings).This is more than likely a direct result of the other codes that have been logged.

Code P1381 & P1386 indicates both camshafts are over advancing.This can be caused by the one of the OCV's(Oil Control Valve) going into fully closed position.The other camshaft then has to play "catch up" so to speak and hence the 2 codes.Now if you go back to the first code (P1340) it is a pretty safe bet to say that it's the Exhaust Cam OCV that is the problem.There is a good chance that it will only require cleaning and,to be honest,unless you are mechanically minded and able it's not the sort of thing you should take on.

It could also be the wiring to the OCV's has shorted to earth and is holding one of the OCV's closed.This is reasonably simple to check.Just remove the air intake off the top of the engine and remove the black plastic coil cover off the rocker cover.Have seen a couple short out the wires on the raised mounting point at the front end of the rocker cover.(see attached pic)

To be honest,if it's under warranty get the dealer to do it.

Hope this helps

FORDTECH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks heaps FORDTECH (and Adam)

You suggested that it wouldnt be a good idea to attempt to clean the OCV's myself. Is there more to it than removing the rocker cover, as I believe they are mounted underneath the front of the cover. I realise that it will require a new gasket once removed.

I will check the wiring at the front, as I can see how that could short out, that mount would become very hot and melt through the plastic..

• Member For: 21y 3m 25d

The only reason they aren't that easy to clean is that the cleaning procedure requires you to actually power the OCV's up with a 12v pulse(like an injector).But they actually operate in 2 directions so you have to reverse the wires and operate it the other way as well.They are also not as robust as an injector and if you stop pulsing the power and leave them powered up constantly it "WILL" destroy them.I emphasize the "WILL DESTROY" them.Not "might" destroy them.But if you feel you're up to the task then may the force be with you.

Whatever decision you make,good luck.

FORDTECH.

The only reason they aren't that easy to clean is that the cleaning procedure requires you to actually power the OCV's up with a 12v pulse(like an injector).But they actually operate in 2 directions so you have to reverse the wires and operate it the other way as well.They are also not as robust as an injector and if you stop pulsing the power and leave them powered up constantly it "WILL" destroy them.I emphasize the "WILL DESTROY" them.Not "might" destroy them.But if you feel you're up to the task then may the force be with you.

Whatever decision you make,good luck.

FORDTECH.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks FORDTECH your a gem!

I think I will have a look at that wiring connection, and maybe remove the rocker cover and have a peak. With that advice I dont think I will try to power them up myself, just dont have the resources at home.

Cheers

Dave

I just checked the wiring, no luck. They all seem fine with no signs of any wear.

I have another question though, why would the temperature of the engine dtermine when this problem occurs?

As I said in my original post, the car is perfect when cold, carries on when the temp gets to a 1/4 then goes back to normal when the temp rises some more...

• FPV521
  • Member For: 20y 19d

The best idea is to take it to a dealer to get it sorted as that's what the 3 year warranty period is for, the last thing you would want to do is void your warranty by trying to sort it out yourself, you pay for the warranty when you buy the car so let Ford pay for your work :glad:

• Member For: 21y 3m 25d
I just checked the wiring, no luck. They all seem fine with no signs of any wear.

I have another question though, why would the temperature of the engine dtermine when this problem occurs?

As I said in my original post, the car is perfect when cold, carries on when the temp gets to a 1/4 then goes back to normal when the temp rises some more...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Variable Cam Timing doesn't work until the engine reaches a set temperature.Hence the OCV's aren't actually working until then.