Annoying Problem!

pumped81

That ones a bit harsh on Ford.

the cars work fine from factory with none of the above problems, they haven't set the cars up to run 10 PSI or more.Common on all turbo cars is to blow out the spark when you up the boost, you should know this if you've worked on a high performance turbos.

Russ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many of these cars have problems with poorly fitted hoses particularly around the throttle body, and loose clamps straight from the factory. I suggest you have a look at a few cars before categorically stating 'none' of thes problems occur. :laughing:

In the year 2005 adding 5psi of boost on a multi coil sequential ignition engine should not result in spark misfiring problems if the system is specified correctly. Maybe on a 1985 Cordia turbo. These days suffering spark blowout on a modern generation engine is a very rare occurence indeed, and generally points to a manufacturer using parts with output regarded as 'marginal' which is why some Ts with suffer this issue and some wont. This is what I have learned from 20 years of tuning high performance turbo engines.

:laughing:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cars work fine from factory with none of the above problems, they haven't set the cars up to run 10 PSI or more.Common on all turbo cars is to blow out the spark when you up the boost, you should know this if you've worked on a high performance turbos.

Russ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many of these cars have problems with poorly fitted hoses particularly around the throttle body, and loose clamps straight from the factory. I suggest you have a look at a few cars before categorically stating 'none' of thes problems occur. :blink:

In the year 2005 adding 5psi of boost on a multi coil sequential ignition engine should not result in spark misfiring problems if the system is specified correctly. Maybe on a 1985 Cordia turbo. These days suffering spark blowout on a modern generation engine is a very rare occurence indeed, and generally points to a manufacturer using parts with output regarded as 'marginal' which is why some Ts with suffer this issue and some wont. This is what I have learned from 20 years of tuning high performance turbo engines.

:spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

vik...got my bus running right :spoton::spoton::spoton:

• Member For: 19y 11m 17d

Ok, that's fair enough. But the problem still occurs when using the 8psi map. I think it must only be something simple causing it, as it only happens when a certain temp is reached, and the car only carries on for a couple of minutes and then is fine.

I am not completely stupid when it comes to mechanics, and I have done all I can to try and find the cause. It is obviously something beyond me, this is why im asking advice.

I have been living with this problem, because the performance of the car using the 10psi map is awesome. The car made 235kw at the wheels the last time I had on the dyno. My only other mods are 2nd CAI and centre muffler removal.

So, Street Tuner, I beleive you are the best to ask, do you have any suggestions as to the cause? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by pumped81

• Member For: 19y 10m 26d
Thanks Mark and Geea, I have a magic cat on the way from the rotary group buy, and also lower temp thermostat from AWC, interesting Mark about your temp, mine  sits between 1/4 and 1/2 closer to 1/2 and always has since new .

P.S Brunks my 10psi map also kills the TC and disables it, I left it on the first day I installed the edit as it was wet road and wanted to watch the light to see what PSI traction lost but you mgiht want to turn it off your self every time you start car, as some have had CV problems from the TC fighting the boost.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love to hear how your new cat goes - please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

• Member For: 20y 2m 14d
In the year 2005 adding 5psi of boost on a multi coil sequential ignition engine should not result in spark misfiring problems if the system is specified correctly.

It is double the PSI compared to factory & Subarus, Nissans etc all have the same prob

with plug gap when increasing boost!

Sequential ignition has nothing at all to do with the problem nor does multi coil. Plug gap is plug gap & to big a gap is the problem.

The more boost the closer the gap will have to be. Simple!

Russ......Vik, get your tongue out of Tunas ass!!!

Sequential ignition has nothing at all to do with the problem nor does multi coil. Plug gap is plug gap & to big a gap is the problem. The more boost the closer the gap will have to be. Simple!

Russ......Vik, get your tongue out of Tunas ass!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately you are quite incorrect yet again. Sequential firing of a multi-coil setup gives each coil a much larger saturation time at high rpm to store the charge required to arc over the spark plug gap. Consider how much charge saturation time a single coil that fires all six cylinders has compared to a dedicated coil for each spark plug, then understand my statement, which is technically 100% correct. :blink:

The only time the gap has to be closed is when the coil doesnt have enough output or 'arc over' voltage to jump the plug gap, as is sometimes the case when raising the boost on the XR6 Turbo. :gooff:

I dont understand how abusing Vik is going to improve your understanding of the physics involved in a modern ignition system, but if it makes you feel good, then it cant be all bad :blink:

• Team Xtreme
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 16d

Russ

Many of these cars have problems with poorly fitted hoses particularly around the throttle body, and loose clamps straight from the factory. I suggest you have a look at a few cars before categorically stating 'none' of thes problems occur. :blink:

:blink:

as Martin has said this is one of the biggest issues I come across when doing the usual checks on these motors, This and ppl just not doing up there clamps :gooff:

post-6140-1138505583_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 20y 2m 14d

Mate plug gap is plug gap, too big a gap & they blow out, regardless of coil setup. Simple. the only difference is that a multi coil setup will be able to supply a better hv compared to a single coil!

Any motor will do it if the gap is too big. As stated Nissans, Subies all have the same probs when increasing boost, you should know this!!!!

As for abusing Vik, he loves it, in fact he thrives on it!!!!

Any motor will do it if the gap is too big. As stated Nissans, Subies all have the same probs when increasing boost, you should know this!!!!

Subies, I dont know or particularly care (not my thing). Some Nissans have weak coils like the RB25DET engine found in the R33 GTS. They always need the gaps shut because the coils are so poor. The upgraded coils on the GTR are another kettle of fish altogether. As a test we completed a mid 10 second pass using standard coils and plug gaps using 26psi of boost (10psi stock). Either a manufacturer is serious about supplying high quality hardware for their engine or they aren't. Ford have chosen cost over function in this instance. :kissmy:

As for abusing Vik, he loves it, in fact he thrives on it!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vik....be careful he bites