But Is It Too Extreme ?

twinxrs

• Member For: 21y 1m 27d

Hi all

I'm currently running my car on 98 octane fuels as that what it's been _tuned_ for (it's a Phase II) and it's going great !

But now I've seen/heard some advertisements for the new Shell Optimax Extreme fuel that's classified as 100 octane through the addition of some ethanol !

So, what's the deal ? Has anyone tried this with their T yet ?

Would a vehicle equipped with an aftermarket tune be able to use this "as is" or would it be best to get it back to an expert for a re-tune on the new fuel ?

Would it work at all ?

Any insight would be appreciated !

Thanks,

Scott

• Member For: 18y 9m 17d

Well its still Extremely uncomon with Shell only listing 7 places in Melb that have it... ( http://www.shell.com/static/au-en/download...ite_extreme.pdf )

Its more expensive again than Optimax 98 which is Extremely silly seeing Ethanol is cheaper than oil... (although 4 cents price difference over 50litres is still only $2 so who cares)

In theory it still should make the T go better but will it be Extremely noticeable??

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 11d

I no longer am adding Octane booster to BP Ultimate - have changed to Extreme and no pinging, so all good for me.

I believe Craig has the same report.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

Hi Scott,

the higher oxygen level of the fuel (due to the ethanol) will see it make more power without an engine retune, so you will be fine to use it as is.

I've been using it for a little while and can report good results. Try it out and see how you go!

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 9m 2d

I recall reading on LS1 Forum that a concern with Ethanol blend fuels is that the Ethanol attracts water which in turn can corrode fuel fittings in your car. Other people seem to give conflicting stories of performance gains.

Here's a link to a website with some more info on Ethanol (caveat emptor - I read it on the internet so it must be true! :spoton: )

• Member For: 21y 4m 28d

Works really well in the T. Definitely a noticeable improvement. Much more smooth right through the rev range - you will noitce that very quickly. Slightly better low end power in terms of how it comes on.

Read the thread at Fordxr6turbo.com where we discussed it a month or so ago...I wrote lots more detail there. Search on optimax extreme should find it pretty quick.

PS I found I got about 10-15km less per tank, but that doesnt mean much to me as I only get 220km per tank on Optimax/Mobil8000 anyway!