Engine & Drivetrain Durability With Edit

JBomb3000

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 3d

Hi guys I am interested to hear from anyone that has had only the edit done with no other hardware mods, and has covered a fair amount of k's with it. Just interested in the long term effect of taking one up to 230 - 240 rwk. I've had my T for 2 weeks now and am thinking about the edit + custom tune once run in. I want to run only edit so I can re flash to stock for waranty work. The only concern I have is the long term durability of the car (I have the auto) while I generaly don't drive like a complete loon I like to stretch it's legs every now and again. I would also be interested to hear what sort of boost levels you would need to run to achieve the above power figures. Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

• Member For: 19y 7m 25d
Hi guys I am interested to hear from anyone that has had only the edit done with no other hardware mods, and has covered a fair amount of k's with it. Just interested in the long term effect of taking one up to 230 - 240 rwk. I've had my T for 2 weeks now and am thinking about the edit + custom tune once run in. I want to run only edit so I can re flash to stock for waranty work. The only concern I have is the long term durability of the car (I have the auto) while I generaly don't drive like a complete loon I like to stretch it's legs every now and again. I would also be interested to hear what sort of boost levels you would need to run to achieve the above power figures. Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi

we are now coming into close to 10 months of ba tuning and results are getting better and more refined as time goes on.the fordedit (flashtune) program has evolved to a point now were resolution of tuning and amount of parameters able to be tuned can only increases long term durability of the vehicle because of refinement of tuning even though power output is increased beyond factory engineered levels.

we have had very few problems at the 230 rwkw level and especially not durability problems.only problems early on and were minor niggles and have been sorted out. good tune able to be achieved on an auto xr6t with 8-10 psi boost levels and some cars less.

our next stage is 260-280 rwkw were reliability comes in the form of safe fuelling control over valve bounce and inlet /exhaust flow.these figures can be achieved with out most of these upgrades but at risk. not recomended due to lean fuelling and excessive boost pressures needed to achieve these figures.from our experiance long term durability comes from properly upgrading to suit power levels.at thees levels also consider transmission problems and need for upgrading for durability.

beyond these levels 300rwkw+ defininate removal of engine and transmisions

for upgrades as well as extra intercooling ,fuelling and intake upgrades again to engineer according to power levels required.

the bottom line short cuts can be taken in tuning and upgrades to achieve power levels but at the definate risk of long term durability.

we have now tuned dozens of ba xr6t as well as v8's and durability is fanatastic as long as correct steps are taken on power increases.

at the level you are looking at( suggest 230 rwkw ) a good custom tune with time spent on making it just right will give you what you are looking for.

regards

david roscio

kpm motorsport

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 3d

Thanks for your thoughts David. I think around the 230 rwkw mark is where I want to be aiming for as like I said long term durability is a priority. Where abouts are you guys located? And what would be an approximate cost?

• Member For: 19y 3m 18d

My Series2XRT was edited & tuned by KPM (gr8t guys) and it flies. Has done arround 20000ks and a has had a diff leak and spine problem on drive line. Makes a tinging type of sound when u gun it. Fixed under warranty.

Currently running 8lb 95RON tune which is plenty to blow pre gen3 HSV's, you should see their faces <_<

Anyhow, according to Ford the spline noise has had a tech bulletin realeased and the fix is applying Locktight. The diff leak is a quality control issue.

Unable to say if it is attributed to the edit.

It is the old story, give anything mechanical sh*t, you end up paying. Treat it with TLC and it will return the same.

One thing though, be prepared to relace rubber and regular intervals. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 19y 1d

just to add

at the moment we have 1/2 dozen cars in adelaide with 370 rwkw or more and posibly another dozen with over 300 rwkw. these cars have been tuned with the customer being fully aware of the problems that may occur if engine internal and driveline upgrades are not done and have been prepared to tune to these levels otherwise at there own risk.

the amazing fact is that only 2 engines at these power levels have failed and only after harsh punishment, drag racing and numerous dyno shootouts.( both these engines were producing over 390 rwkw and 400 rwkw respectively(over 600hp with stock internals.

we have since rebuilt these engines with high spec internal components for durability and also concentrated on blueprint of clearances and air flow.

these engines now produce 400 rwkw (typoon) and 437 rwkw (xr6t) have great tunes ,wives can drive kids to school and husband /wife can race on weekend.

WHAT NEW PRODUCTION CAR CAN DO THIS FOR THE MONEY SPENT.

although we do not advise tuning above 280 rwkw without driveline upgrades we can say that these engines so far are giving great durability with correct upgrades and tuning.

although we have heard of several engines failing and bending/throwing rods at low power levels(stock) it is a very small ratio in the scheme of how many xr6t have been sold in australia.

we now have tuned many dozens of xr6t to up to 280 rwkw with correct upgrades and no problems BUT although we know 2 engines broken above 390 rwkw we like to keep a conservative 110 rwkw buffer and strongly suggest engine/driveline internal upgrades at 280 rwkw.

regards

david roscio

kpm motorsport

• 2 weeks later...
  • THE PSYCHO XRT
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 15d

Hi mate.

I have an auto like urself. Recently got edit (custom tune) from HPF in Dandy (EXCEPTIONAL TUNERS), and received 247.5rwkw. I must admit am very happy with the drive line- running like a brand new baby.

The other mods I have are 2ndcai, cntr mufler rmvd and twin exhaust tips.

So far its good, any probs down the track (fingers crossed), will notify.

But, would definately recommend edit, its totally a different car now!!!

I sh*t all over HSV's now!!

GO FORDS!!

• Member For: 20y 4m 14d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mate.

I have an auto like urself. Recently got edit (custom tune) from HPF in Dandy (EXCEPTIONAL TUNERS), and received 247.5rwkw. I must admit am very happy with the drive line- running like a brand new baby.

The other mods I have are 2ndcai, cntr mufler rmvd and twin exhaust tips.

So far its good, any probs down the track (fingers crossed), will notify.

But, would definately recommend edit, its totally a different car now!!!

I sh*t all over HSV's now!!

GO FORDS!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At that level I would strongly recommend a good tranny cooler at least and even then depending on how you drive it, some degeneration of the auto to occur over time.

• Member For: 20y 1m 7d

My Story so far.

My Ute now has 64,000km, auto, cooler fitted.

I fitted an xede, injectors and high flow cat at 4000km, car was running 266rwkw.

tuned and new exhaust fitted at about 34000km, running 285rwkw.

edit fitted at 52000km, run with xede for a while and stand alone too, now has 290rwkw on pump fuel and 12psi boost, car has a sh*t load more torque, second gear smokies in the dry are easy.

So far, zero driveline/engine drama's, it is service every 7500km, I use Castrol 10w60 syn oil, transmax Z in trans, LSdZ syn in diff.

I have run it down the strip about 15 times at wsid, and belt it a bit when driving.

I could not be more happy with how it is.

I will be on the dyno this arvo, fine tuning (live tuning) with the xede and edit.

I wont be going over 320rwkw on stock auto/rods/pistons etc. but it will be nice to get it spot on.

230-240 rwkw, it will last forever, fit a good cooler to the trans, change the engine oil regulary, and enjoy.