WA Spotted & Chit Chat Thread

cunners

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 30d
6 hours ago, ML24 said:

Can I also assume this is related to my sh*tty fuel economy?

its a 4.0L turbocharged six cylinder engine.....sounds like you're enjoying it :P

how many Ks has it done?

• Member For: 7y 11m 7d

I got 150kms from half a tank, only put the boot in a handful of times. Although I guess I'm used to 2.0L turbo engines which run on oily rags. I am enjoying it immensely though.

170k kms. Barely run in?

I've just been reading tuned cars go for a cooler thermostat, why is this?

Am I better off leaving this in there since I'll be later getting some work done anyway? I haven't planned on it, but we've all heard this story before...

Edited by ML24

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 30d

I reckon the reason they install a cooler thermostat is cause I give my tuned car a slight tickle when its not fully warm and the heater becomes instantaneously hot.

I think the tuner also adjusts when the radiator fans engage. would highly recommend getting a tune, convince yourself its for the fuel economy benefits...

• Member For: 14y 11m 12d

If I remember correctly there's a thread around that's longer than the bible on cooler thermostats, although probably not as long as "best oil to use" or "what's better Plazmaman x stage or Process West stage x intercooler" some of the forums certainly do arc people up but I find that's good as I learn some interesting stuff from them.

• Member For: 10y 10m 8d

short of it, warm up cycle is based on engine temps. Colder the richer. If your on a stock tune with a cooler thermostat it can potentially be the source of ordinary economy. A tuned car is adjusted accordingly for the cooler thermostat.

Those saying its a barra dont whinge bout fuel, 150km for 30l of petrol is rough. Mine is not even that bad and it rarely gets driven long enough to get out of the warmup cycle and gets flogged 90% of the time.

Its normal for a stock car to cycle between like 1/4ish and somewhere just under half temp. Warming up to 1/4 and being pegged there sounds like a cooler thermostat. So either the car was tuned, or somebody has replaced it with the incorrect one. Or im just a guy on the interwebs that's full of sh*t

Replacing it is straight forward enough if you have done this type of thing before

• Like 2

• Member For: 14y 11m 12d
Its normal for a stock car to cycle between like 1/4ish and somewhere just under half temp.
Mine came tuned from XFT and does this.

I did find at the first service that there was a leak at the thermostat housing because the seal wasn't sitting right or something. A quick call to Simon & a new 180° F thermostat & seal later plus I got a coolant flush done as I bought second hand with no idea of previous history & all was good.

I very rarely hear the fans going either.