WA Spotted & Chit Chat Thread

cunners

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 18d

In t' old days, we used to stick a litre of metho in the tank which was supposed to help the water dissipate and mix into the fuel and get burnt up by the car.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 25d

maybe you will have timing chain issues like I did. Tripled my bill for valve spring install so good luck! Ver glad it's done now as I got to flog the daylights out of her at Racewars and nothing popped - just a bit of the traction control light staying on, anyone know what that means off the top of their head? Tried engine off/on but it came back after a few minutes. A while later once the car had been parked for a while it stayed off, perhaps heat related.

Yeah , I'm quite worried even though the car still performs quite well, it went lovely this morning nice and cold on the freeway in perth :P It's just it doesn't feel right, something is up with the motor, it was using a SHIIIIIIT load of fuel like im talking a tank of 98 for 300km and then I had battery out for a while working on something and lubing the boost solanoid and refilled a tank of 98 and it came up with 500km distance to empty and so far it is defiantly better and my driving style and conditions have not changed.

Sensor of some description stuffed? Somethings gotta be up, car felt the same after lubing boost solanoid.

My traction control light does that too, when I stab it and start to lose traction (not all the time as I have very good qualty tyres, and my car isnt some monster) and keep accelerating it screws something and then I can start to do a burnout, its like the car going YOU PUSSY THIS IS HOW WE DO IT!

Had a few funny moments where I've accidently smoked it due to this! It is consistent where it will be normal after restarting engine and car shows no fault codes.

Edited by johnxr6t

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Jen was googling water in petrol and came up with the metho trick too, I wasn't sure about how it might affect my tuned car so thought I'd ask, thanks for the help fellas! I'll go with a few capfuls as I don't think it was much water. Might read more about how it works.

Phil how much water was in a tank when you stuck in a litre?

Edited by -SteveR-

• Will do skids for food

Steve my faded memory tells me that we'd put metho in the tank when we found evidence of water in float bowls on carbys.

Usually a few drops clinging to the inside of the bowl when we'd lift them off if the car was not running right and we suspected water.

As for the amount to put in, some research would be a good idea as it was 20 years ago and my memory is somewhat less than photographic.

Going with Ralph's suggested couple of cap fulls would probably be the better way to go.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Yeah I did 3 capfuls in the Bunnings carpark yesterday hahaha. Seems fine so far but still want a fuel tank clean done anyway due to age, I'm sure there's scum at the bottom...never ending! :)

Now got a 95% full bottle of Metho in the boot everywhere I go, along with the 2 cans of WD40, the silicon spray, white lithium grease, carby cleaner, brake cleaner....think I should go on that hoarders show?

• Will do skids for food

You don't have a shelf in your garage ?

Also, I have always wondered about the scum thing.

If petrol sloshing around doesn't keep the scum down, I don't know what will.

If you're worried about algae and stuff, you could try Fuel Set which is especially for that sort of thing.

Although it could be just an expensive bottle of metho :P

http://www.liquideng.com.au/fuelset.html

Edited by Boganspeed

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 27d

Methylated spirit is not the same as methanol. Just stick in a litre of methanol, that will sort the water out. A couple of capfuls in useless. ..