WA Spotted & Chit Chat Thread

cunners

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 23d

So just took off from the lights in a rather spirited fashion. First gear was fine, arse end slid about a bit. When I snapped it into second and the revs continued to climb but the car stopped accelerating. This was followed by a lovely smell of burnt clutch :(

manual?

did the clutch pedal come back when you took your foot off?

I have launched on two occasions and had the clutch pedal get sucked back to the floor. no idea what causes it, but both were using the 2-step, and riding the clutch off the line.

Damn sounds like you have bigger problems than me!

Yeah it's a manual #96. I don't think the pedal sucked back to the floor. It all happened pretty fast, but I remember putting the clutch back in and trying for third at even lower revs and it kept spinning. I rolled for a bit and took off again in second, everything back to normal.

Well as far as I am aware, this is part of the launch control system guys, but only applies to manuals. If you are at a standstill, put the car in first and then rev to 3500rpm, you will hear the engine change sound. This is one or two cylinders turning off. You then dump the clutch and the car will do the rest.

When you change gears you will find that the clutch is soft till about half way down the pedal and then feel hard. Make sure you press the clutch alllllllllll the way in before changing gears.

When you change from 2nd to 3rd it will be soft as well and then feel hard, half way the pedal.

I believe this is the launch control doing it's work, but it will burn the clutch. I don't like it at ALL.

I had the burnt clutch smell going through the car for the rest of the day through the ventilation system even though I wasn't going hard at it.

Edited by masda74

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Nice looking ride dude! Genuine Argents or the wider aftermarket ones? I'm not good at telling in pics. Suits the black on white theme well.

• Member For: 11y 9m 28d

Well as far as I am aware, this is part of the launch control system guys, but only applies to manuals. If you are at a standstill, put the car in first and then rev to 3500rpm, you will hear the engine change sound. This is one or two cylinders turning off. You then dump the clutch and the car will do the rest.

When you change gears you will find that the clutch is soft till about half way down the pedal and then feel hard. Make sure you press the clutch alllllllllll the way in before changing gears.

When you change from 2nd to 3rd it will be soft as well and then feel hard, half way the pedal.

I believe this is the launch control doing it's work, but it will burn the clutch. I don't like it at ALL.

I had the burnt clutch smell going through the car for the rest of the day through the ventilation system even though I wasn't going hard at it.

I may be wrong, but I think you are wrong.

Ford's "launch control" is nothing more than a 2-step. Ie, a secondary rev limiter.

It cuts spark on intermittent cylinders, but keeps fueling them. When sparked, the fuel ignites through the turbo, allowing higher boost at less rpm and throttle % than would normally be seen.

It is not linked to your clutch, or tc/esc as far as I am aware.

That burnt clutch smell you got? That soft clutch you had? That's not normal. That's what I had twice (out of the 50+ times I've used the "launch control")

A mate's VE had a habbit of sucking the clutch pedal to the floor on hard launches too. But his did it lots. And there was something Expensive Daewoo did about it.

Remember woody. These things have LOTS of torque from low rpm, there's a good chance you simply had your foot into it and the clutch never locked up. Kinetic friction is lower than static friction, so if you never get the clutch to lock up (static) it will be quite easy for it to slip the entire gear (kinetic).

If it cooled down and now grabs, I wouldn't worry, unless its a regular thing.

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 18d

So I pulled the back wheels off and this is what I found :(

I seem to have cured the squeak by chamfering the crap outta the edges of the pads but time will tell.