WA Spotted & Chit Chat Thread

cunners

• Member For: 17y 8m 27d

Hey all, chasing some advice from the people in the know. After finally dusting of the taxi on the weekend and taking it for a drive, my turbo decided to have a heart attack and sh*t itself. YAY!

From what I've been told, there's a fair chance that the oil feed line has become blocked and starved it of oil. My car hasn't cracked 50,000 K's yet and I drive it less than 5000 K's a year now. So the oil may have become crappy I guess.

Anyway, tears are over and I'm looking at my options but I no longer have the ability to hide the cash for my car from the Mrs like I used to....

I don't really want to go down the high mount path, look good but too expensive.

So do I go a second hand FG F6 turbo with low K's, or do I go a GTx35/82R?

The F6 option I think is cheaper, but no doubt id have to get it modified like I did on my current one to keep the power levels I have now. Then the price goes up.

Are there any benefits of going for the 35/82 over the F6. More power, faster etc and what other modifications are needed to fit it up? Will this turbo need to be modified also to maintain current power levels? And finally has anyone got one of these turbos and what sort of coin am I looking at?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers Brendan

Hey thanks for the call on Sunday Luke.

Edited by xr6t ego
  • Like 1

• Get It To Wheelspin Uncontrolably Then Give It Another 5 Pounds
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 13y 11m

I got 285/30 falkens on my fg2 ute and some online calculator said they were 3% taller than my stock tyres.

So I have been wondering what that's done to my speedo accuracy.

I plugged in a tomtom yesterday when we went to mandurah to pick up the missus new Mondeo thing and the speedo now reads about 2% low. That is at 100 indicated, tomtom says 102, at 110 indicated, tomtom says 112.

60 indicated is 61, 70 is 71, 80 is 81-82.

So there you go.

speedo difference seems its not the only issue

I saw u said urs is only .5% different

But as a reference, I had a 3.85% different rolling diameter front to back and it was fine, staino had 5% and his dash won't read , so somewhere on between there

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

Brendan - ouch man. I think the gtx would be the go as they are newer tech and faster spooling than FGF6 aren't they? But I go no idea on fitting/costs.

Good luck at WAW tonight Josh, get some good vids from inside and outside if you can! Oh and bring $50, unless price has gone up.

Edited by -SteveR-
  • Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 29d

hmm... I replied this morning but obviously its got lost in hyperspace...

Brendan, Do you want more power? Gt35/82 (BA/F/FGF6) cores come up all the time for aound $700. You take a gamble with a 2nd hand turbo but if your pushed to get the car back on the road or just don't want to drop a heap of cash that's how I would go. A GTX3582 is "better" than the GT3582 but you will need to modify your intake (no more polished nizzer intake) and Air box, if you go for a GTX budget an extra K by the time it's fitted up and retuned. If you go for a GT3582 you wont need a retune only a health check on the dyno.

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 5m 10d

Majority of ppl use Simon due to his backed services. Monsta torque is another in Malaga. Or, u know, u could use a Fraud dealership ;).

Yep,

Nizpro recommended them. Said if Simon has an issue he calls Nizpro anyway.

Catch you lads soon as I land in Perth on 9 Dec 12 and move in on 20 Dec 12. Based in Shenton Park.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

Next cruise date Dec 9th hahaha.

• Like 1

• Member For: 17y 8m 27d

Cheers for that Luke.

So is there any difference between the GT35/82 and a FGF6 turbo? Would I also have to modify them like I have to my existing one, eg porting etc to match what I have now?

• Like 1