WA Spotted & Chit Chat Thread

cunners

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m

The pro78 and BEL STI give plenty of warning for the new multinova Lazer. It only takes your photo when your almost next to it.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 4d

If the oil filter is good enough for my engine then its good enough for my turbo....my "Tractor" 80 series factory turbo has done 400k and I doubt it has a screen in it....still going strong

Having owned my T since near new and doing my services every 5k like most of us gives me piece of mind... its had 2 x OEM filters put into it as well and they had a very slight carbon like deposits inside that sh*tty POS screen filter..

Correct me if I'm wrong Luke but my take on it is oil goes thru the pickup into the center of the filter medium,the oil then is filtered thru this and makes its way back down the outside of the filter and then while under pressure makes its way thru to all the galleries etc which inturn feeds the oil line to the turbs....

I know that ppl are for and against but this is what I have chosen to do....I always listen to the turbs wind down after I have shut it down and it actually sounds alot quieter for some reason,,,

My two shillings

Chippa your 80ser would have a plain bearing/bush turbo. they don't have a filter because the don't have a restrictor orifice in the oil feed inlet in the cartridge, Plain bearing turbos can also handle huge contamination compare to a BB unit.

If you do have a component fail/failing it doesn't take much crap in the filter to cause the bypass valve too open and feed the engine. The orifice in the turbo is only .8mm so I will block fairly easily if something does let go.

I would need too look up the diagram but I'm 99% sure the lube system isn't full flow on these engines hence why we see cars with poor service history (unlike yours) blocking filters and killing turbo's.

Both my t's have had similar servicing to yours (filter every 5k and oil at 10k) and my filters have always been pretty clean, I just fitted a filter up top to make serving easier :)

• Donkey Dick
  • Member For: 14y 6m 9d

IMHO filter isnt a nessecity but good piece of mind in case of engine failure. if the filter/screen does it's job the turbo cartridge will be one less item to replace

Filter is definitely a necessity as well as 5000km servicing using decent fluids, if not sooner when beating up on it at the track/drags. Anyone dropping there oil after 15000kms & topping back up with whatever supercheap has on special will be cursing when they hear the dreaded bearing crunch!

got my eyes on the Blinder m47

In other words, you're not looking for a jammer atm? Maybe next time!

• Slippery when dry
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 15d

Cheers for the heads up Luke....I think the chances of sh*t getting thru to the turbs are small due to the oil being dumped regularly etc... the only thing that I was thinking was maybe extra pressure due to the screen being removed but I'm sure the restrictor would slow the oil down a fair bit anyways.....

Guess I'll be the Guinnie pig...see you on the cruise :beerchug:

P.S poor Amy Winehouse.....I like junkie chicks hahaha

Edited by chippa

• Member For: 13y 7m 29d

Yeah I chose my knock offs based on the colour matching the B series cluster :turboboink: :turboboink: :turboboink:

BMW halos, blue interior LEDs, $30 scuff plates and matching needles...stock rims. That's how I roll!!!! :roflmbo:

hey I got a nice set of Chrome Advanti Tech3 20's with tyres for sale, came off my AUII Utes on the front so will fit your beast, then no more stockies, $1500 all serious offers considered??? hahaha, come on you know you want to Steve!

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 3d

No way man sleepers are cool.

In reality I'm a pork hunt and just don't have the money. GF realised how expensive it is to drive after taking a trip to Mandurah yesterday. 3 hours driving = $40 petrol, she was shocked...but she drives a Yaris.

Winehouse dead huh...like the thread subtitle says, "never saw that coming"!

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Filter is definitely a necessity as well as 5000km servicing using decent fluids, if not sooner when beating up on it at the track/drags. Anyone dropping there oil after 15000kms & topping back up with whatever supercheap has on special will be cursing when they hear the dreaded bearing crunch!

Plenty of turbo cars out there don't run a oil feed filter.... But I agree with you, Proper service intervals/quality and appropriate oils are they key. But you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to work out that oils is cheap engines is expensive :)

Cheers for the heads up Luke....I think the chances of sh*t getting thru to the turbs are small due to the oil being dumped regularly etc... the only thing that I was thinking was maybe extra pressure due to the screen being removed but I'm sure the restrictor would slow the oil down a fair bit anyways.....

Guess I'll be the Guinnie pig...see you on the cruise :beerchug:

The restrictor will be fine on its own. GT series turbo's are normally setup with just a restrictor and a feed line.

Wouldn't hurt to remove the oil feed line and fitting everynow and then and check it for clogging in the bend above the exhaust manifold and check the restrictor for any build up :)

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

AS posted in the cruise thread

Map and Directions have gone out Via PM people. As per usual if you have a printer, print a copy and a Spare so its not up to Steve or myself to provide all the maps..

If you think you should have been included but wherent pipe up now or forever hold your peace!!