My Motor Is Broken

youngy

• Member For: 19y 20d

well, it's happened my june 05 build mk11 6spd ute has given up the ghost at 5050kms... 4th, 5th and 6th cyls had broken top piston rings, with a piece of no5 piston ring jamming itself in the spark plug! After my holiday which I leave tomorrow I'm gonna strip it right down then order a complete atomic bottom end when the funds are available. I can only put this down to either detonation or a faulty engine in the first place but running approx 375rwkw with only upgraded valve springs and otherwise standard internals isn't gonna help much. so I'm very dissappointed and with out my car for possibly 2months.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 16d

Mate your from Perth right?? Im on my second bottom end too with suspected faulty rings. Mine was an oil consumption problem though and was fixed by installing new longblock. Mine too a MKII. Sorry to hear anyway and what a downer. Id say your bulk hp could be responsible!!

yeah mate im from perth, warranty completley void coz of mods plus don't wanna risk ford seeing it and saying that they won't cover anything. Oh well at least the ute will come back stronger and to the tune of 440 odd rwkw's

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 5d

Sorry to here Youngy ,maybe worth an independent inspection to determine root cause. Perhaps some recourse with your tuner if it was detonation.

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 9m 8d
well, it's happened my june 05 build mk11 6spd ute has given up the ghost at 5050kms... 4th, 5th and 6th cyls had broken top piston rings, with a piece of no5 piston ring jamming itself in the spark plug! After my holiday which I leave tomorrow I'm gonna strip it right down then order a complete atomic bottom end when the funds are available. I can only put this down to either detonation or a faulty engine in the first place but running approx 375rwkw with only upgraded valve springs and otherwise standard internals isn't gonna help much. so I'm very dissappointed and with out my car for possibly 2months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I hate to asy "told ya so" so I won't.

BUT.... before you go assuming it was a weak engine, detonation etc etc.. have a read of THIS. It goes a long way to explain effects that different paramaters in a tune have on a turbocharged engine.

Remeber the basic Turbocharging rule, 'Power won't kill it, Boost will'. ( Although 375 rwkw is pretty huge on stock XR rods )... what's your boost set at and afr's on your last dyno run?? ( the 375rwkw one )

This is the sole reason I got my max boost limit capped on my tune, it's up to the tuner thereafter to get the required power from timing, cam control or whatever needs to be done to have a happy engine.. Peak HP will be the result.. I didn't chase a result b4 setting paramaters..

I don't care who tunes my car, but results are more than rwhp.. imo..

Having said that, your new engine should be huuge..

well it's all my own fault really. We never had time for a retune after my full 4in exhaust. Before that with the standard exhaust it ran 332rwkw with 15psi boost but a safe guess is that with the new zorst it was running approx 18 to 20psi boost on the same tune and at least 370rwkw, the ute was more taily then simon's foon with 400rwkw and my 18's are in a better state grip wise than simon's. This is in no way simon's fault, he's helped me out heaps for no gain of his own and we checked af's several times with the tune being rich every time. the detonation side I was suggesting was more of a case of a bad batch of fuel or one of those extra cool nites we've had lately enabling the turbo to suck a lot more oxygen hence leaning out the mixture. I'm a mechanic my self so once I get it all stripped down I'll do my best to find the most likely cause. I was always gonna do my bottom end but just now it's gonna be sooner rather than later. I'm just bummed I haven't had it down at the plex yet and got no car for a while.

• Member For: 19y 2m 25d

Just out of interest what do you reckon a new beefed up bottom end would cost. I ask as mine is at ford currently being inspected and I don't like my chances of warranty

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 28d
Well, I hate to asy "told ya so" so I won't.

BUT.... before you go assuming it was a weak engine, detonation etc etc.. have a read of THIS. It goes a long way to explain effects that different paramaters in a tune have on a turbocharged engine.

Remeber the basic Turbocharging rule, 'Power won't kill it, Boost will'. ( Although 375 rwkw is pretty huge on stock XR rods )... what's your boost set at and afr's on your last dyno run?? ( the 375rwkw one )

This is the sole reason I got my max boost limit capped on my tune, it's up to the tuner thereafter to get the required power from timing, cam control or whatever needs to be done to have a happy engine.. Peak HP will be the result.. I didn't chase a result b4 setting paramaters.. 

I don't care who tunes my car, but results are more than rwhp.. imo..

Having said that, your new engine should be huuge..

Interesting post F6.

Can I ask what boost pressure your car is capped at? And is it at max boost or max power?

• Member For: 21y 4m 29d
well it's all my own fault really. We never had time for a retune after my full 4in exhaust. Before that with the standard exhaust it ran 332rwkw with 15psi boost but a safe guess is that with the new zorst it was running approx 18 to 20psi boost on the same tune and at least 370rwkw, the ute was more taily then simon's foon with 400rwkw and my 18's are in a better state grip wise than simon's. This is in no way simon's fault, he's helped me out heaps for no gain of his own and we checked af's several times with the tune being rich every time. the detonation side I was suggesting was more of a case of a bad batch of fuel or one of those extra cool nites we've had lately enabling the turbo to suck a lot more oxygen hence leaning out the mixture. I'm a mechanic my self so once I get it all stripped down I'll do my best to find the most likely cause. I was always gonna do my bottom end but just now it's gonna be sooner rather than later. I'm just bummed I haven't had it down at the plex yet and got no car for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it was running up to 20 psi its no suprise that it failed. Stock engines are not designed to handle that much punishment and was only a case of when it would go bang rather than if it would.

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 9m 8d
Interesting post F6.

Can I ask what boost pressure your car is capped at? And is it at max boost or max power?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geesemsn, I asked the tuner to cap boost at 16/17 psi.

The tune ran out at 299.1 rwkw.... injectors and cat.

My logger tells me I'm running 5.5/6.0 degrees of timing @ full noise ( 100% load and 100% throttle ) So with colder plugs and some more fuel ( my scalers weren't 100% I don't think ) maybe that could be upped.. Boost in the top end also faded down to 11 psi and AFR's got rich ( high 10"s/11's I think ) This will be fixed soon..

Keep winding up the boost and power will rise, I didn't want that. Nor am I a dyno number chaser..