Xr6t Vs Audi S4 B5 Twin Turbo

Nick T

• Member For: 19y 1m 18d

Hi all,

Thought this topic might make for an interesting discussion. Doing a bit of research, I've found that you can get into a 2000-2001 Audi S4 B5 with between 60-90K km on the clock for about the same price as a BF XR6T that is fairly well optioned up.

Has anyone had the chance to drive both these cars, or considered buying an S4 of this vintage over a new XR6T? From what I have read, the S4 packs a mighty punch right from the get go, and sports a pretty flat torque curve from about 1800rpm upwards. And there are also a few tuning places around that are happy to make an S4 go harder.

I know things like fit and finish, NVH etc would be better in the S4, but what about from an overall performance perspective (acceleration from rest, in gear acceleration, handling, etc) when compared to an XR6T?

To anyone who has owned, driven, compared, or had a run against an S4 in your XR6T, it would be great to hear your experiences

Thanks

Nick

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 18d

Its valid in the sense that they cost the same and both fill the same basic need of a 4dr 5 seater.

l go through this dilemma everytime l am ready for a new toy and just tonight posted in Dallasqld's thread about his M5 as these have come down to where they can be compared to a new GT-P with a few options. Although l consider the 3-4 yr old Euro each time l end up bunking for the new Ford, probably because it seems to be a safer option. l am sure the depreciation would be no worse though, its just the potential repair costs and limited warranty that scare me off.

The S4 would be one hell of a car, the only way to know is drive one but l would give it strong consideration.

It's actually your post about the M5 that got me thinking about the S4 vs XR6T :) I had a ride in a demo M5 in Orange a couple of years back - got to say it was an awesome experience - acceleration is brutal. Poor car must have had a hard life though - only had 6,500 km on the clock and the front tyres were scrubbed out, and the rears were cactus!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 16d

Mmmm, M5, I've always said that if money were no object that would be the car I'd buy! Super luxury, good (but subtle) looks, incredible build quality and blistering performance all in the one package. :spoton:

S4 would be damn nice too, good to see people considering options like that - too many people are scared off by higher kms. By buying something like that, you'd hope that the worst of the depreciation was already over and that you're not just chucking money down the drain. Whilst it's nice to own a brand new car, you certainly do pay for the privilege. :pinch:

• Member For: 19y 2m 25d

AFAIK second hand RS4s (if you can find one) are still fetching close to 100K.

B5 S4 is a great performance package. It's definitely a class or 3 above the Ford in terms of quality and refinement. It's also very moddable, but dollar for gain would definitely go to the XR6T.

I guess what you need to decide on when making a choice between the two is whether you a) prefer Quattro over RWD b) are happy to buy an older car c) are happy to spend extra $$$ (and I mean LOTS) on servicing, maintenance and parts.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Guess the next step is to go out and actually drive and S4, and see whether I prefer it or the XR6T, and then weight up the pros and cons of each.

One thing that is a little worrying for the S4 is the insurance you have to pay. Doing a bit of research, it is at least twice, sometimes three times more expensive to comp. insure than an XR6T!

Yup that was one I was looking at - there are also a couple over at carpoint.com.au I think.

That particular S4 that you have linked to has been on there at least 4 months - I think the price has come down a couple of times.

Love the look of the S4 in black - looks really stealth and understated, just how I like a car to be. If only you could get the XR6T without a rear spoiler.....

• Member For: 21y 11d

I have owned two AUDI's, never again, serving was costly and everytime they looked at it there was something that needed fixing and it was allways at $1000 or more.

Last one cost me 60K, two years later when I sold it for the BA I could only get 31K.