Lpg Conversion On A T?

Guest Mal

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

All,

I've found out some more info for those who are interested.

1. The Impco kit has been trialled and tested on a BA NA Falcon and has just been granted ADR approval, emission tested and is compliant to the AS.

2. The kit is not yet available commerically, as the components are supplied by Impco Italy, but the wiring looms to suit the Falcon are being made in country. This has added a delay of "several weeks", what ever that means !!! Impco is making the looms, plug and play, ie minimised requirement for cutting/splicing factory looms.

3. The Impco system is not a Vapour Gas Injection system, it is a Liquid Gas Injection system. As highlighted above, vapourised gas injection is limited in flow capability, hence engine size/power is restricted.

4. No confirmation about suitability for Turbo as well as NA cars, but the principal should be the same, only the ECU programming is different. Refer to www.brc.it

5. Info is supplied by Impco authorised agent in Brisbane.

PS. My old man's in Townsville, NQ (for those who asked...)

Cheers

Robin.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
  • Donating Members

Well after a long wait for Impco to come thru with there BA LPG injection kit ..... it still hasn't happened.

But, BG Gas a company from Spain of all places, has come thru. Below are some pics of what is believed to be the first BA Falcon converted to full sequential liquid fed LPG injection in Queensland. It's a BA NA, and the second one has been done since then as well. The old man's up in Townsville, and runs Townsville Auto Gas Installations.

The injection system uses a complete set of six LPG only injectors mounted on a seperate fuel manifold, which then ports the LPG to each intake port of the lower stock manifold via a tapped hole and feed hose, drilled close to the stock petrol injectors. The fuel manifold is fed via a regulator mounted near the LPG ECU. The LPG ECU (mounted in the engine bay) interfaces to the stock OEM ECU and can turn off the petrol injectors. It is laptop programmable, and has basic fuel maps based on load (just like every other ECU).

The system starts the car on petrol and switches over to LPG based on a set of default conditions being met. ie engine temp, etc. That way no hard starting, etc is experienced. So far the car has been trialled using the default maps supplied, and the thing makes more power than the petrol engine, with much improved low RPM torque and it hasn't even been tuned properly yet.

I'm sure more is to come.

Cheers

Robin.

post-5353-1141634911_thumb.jpg

post-5353-1141634939_thumb.jpg

post-5353-1141634964_thumb.jpg

post-5353-1141634998_thumb.jpg

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 1d

It's obviously early days still but what sort of cost is involved? Would take a few k's to get your return on investment one would imagine.

• Donating Members
It's obviously early days still but what sort of cost is involved? Would take a few k's to get your return on investment one would imagine.

Apparently $3200, but prices are expected to drop, once it becomes more wide spread. I forgot to mention that you end up a dual fuel system (ie can switch between LPG and petrol).

Cheers

Robin.

• Member For: 20y 1m 10d

Interesting topic

When I was in Adeliade my mate took me to his tuner (the name escapes me at the moment but I will find out). Anyway, he owned a XR6T that ran the LPG injector system as wll as petrol similarly described above. He appeared very switched on and helpful with his advice. His XR was a 300+rwkw torque beast (I saw its dyno graphs from the Mainline dyno he runs at the shop).

At the moment he said that the LPG injectors were maxed out and this was the only reason it made more on petrol. He relayed the same benefits detailed above (downside being initial cost of setup). I was pretty sure this guy had visited the site before but cannot remember his name at the moment. Perhaps someone from SA could help, unless I will find out later....

Joel.

• Donating Members
At the moment he said that the LPG injectors were maxed out and this was the only reason it made more on petrol.

The BG system described above has three different injector manifolds available, either with two, three of four injectors each. That way it can be set-up to run just about any number of cylinders (ie 2 x 2 for 4, 2 x 3 for 6, etc). I think it would be possible to double up each, ie two injectors per manifold port and that way effectively double the per injector cc capacity. That would suit higher HP applications.

Also due to the vaporisation effect from the LPG fuel, the charge temps are really low, so currently the cars are really punchy down low. Like driving in cold weather all the time !! Hence why the pre-conditions for engine temp need to be reached before it will auto switch from petrol to LPG.

If I find out any more I'll post up the details.

Cheers

Robin.

• Member For: 20y 1m 10d

...For those who are serious about investigating LPG injection and how it goes with a moded XRT, the guy to speak to is Brett West from Graham West Worshops, Marion Rd Parkside Adeliade, SA. Check out their number, or if you are in Adeliade go to the workshop; I was impressed by Brett's knowledge and the worhsop setup. I suspect that anyone in a position to let him tinker with their XRT would come away very happy...

Joel.

• Member For: 21y 3m 27d

The injected LPG systems that are around at the moment are all vapour injection and effectively wouldn't work on a turbo charged engine due to the inlet manifold pressures that they have.Most lpg systems introduce the vapour at the air intake(or air cleaner side) of the throttle body so they rely on inlet vacuum to draw the vapour in.So on a turbo it would have to be introduced in the suction side.So effectively your intercooler, piping and intake tubes are filled with volatile air.With the vapour injection the lpg vapour is introduced as close to the inlet valves/ports as possible.Now these systems are low pressure and still rely in some ways on negative manifold pressure(vacuum)to help draw the vapour into the engine.The LPG injection systems that we fit run 1bar(14psi)vapour pressure which isnt very high.So if your turbo is pumping 14psi of boost into the intake manifold then the gas isn't going to flow all that well is it.I am sure there are ways around this but havent heard of anyone with an injected system that does or even if anyone is researching a kit for the turbo's.