1/4 Mile Times

jordak

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 22y 12d
I was giving some margin there for human error. Not everyone is as brilliant or as perfect down the quarter mile as you are, mate.

Stick to the point - where the hell does this comment originate? It's certainly NOT from anything I've posted.

Some of those calculators say the T should do a 13 flat, some say it should do a 14.5.

So I'd say half a second (as in, + or - 0.25) is relatively fair.

The difference is 1.5 secs you say from one calculator to another? Please show me some evidence of this as I have not found such a discrepency at all between any that I have used. From what I have seen they all use basically the same program and the results are definitely not in variance by anything like 1.5 secs.

Also, example.

You have a dyno day. 2 cars with almost identical power curves with the same driveline, same factory wheels with roughly the same tread and fuel...

Yet they run 0.5 second differences down the quarter, and both drivers stalled up to roughly the same rpm at launch, and have roughly the same weight....

Timeslips for similarly powered cars in similar conditions vary around about 1 whole second in this forum alone.

Quite simply mate, if two identical cars with identical power curves are run down the strip the times will be identical. SIMPLE ... by the definition of identical Timeslips for similarly powered cars means NOTHING - what does SIMILARLY mean? How much variation are you allowing in YOUR perception of what is SIMILAR? If you base your conclusions on dyno curves provided for various cars on this forum OR ANY OTHER then you are erroneous in your most basic data. The variation between dynos has been covered extensively. FORGET DYNO FIGURES - go to the strip and get times and terminal speeds - this is your best power comparison between cars.

I thought we were beyond theory and got onto what it should be like in practice...

Oh well, you can't please everyone...

And I didn't say it was MY calculator. It has nothing to do with me, I said one of those calculators that can be readily found on the net. Like I said up there, some vary around a second. So don't attack me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if these comments were directed at me - doesn't seem to relate to anything I have posted so maybe it was aimed at someone else.

I don't think anyone has attacked you - at least not in this thread.

The flippant comment I directed towards you was just that - not any sort of attack. Do you have smilies activated? Maybe you didn't see the laughter smilies in my post. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 5d
Quite simply mate, if two identical cars with identical power curves are run down the strip the times will be identical. SIMPLE ... by the definition of identical Timeslips for similarly powered cars means NOTHING - what does SIMILARLY mean? How much variation are you allowing in YOUR perception of what is SIMILAR? If you base your conclusions on dyno curves provided for various cars on this forum OR ANY OTHER then you are erroneous in your most basic data. The variation between dynos has been covered extensively. FORGET DYNO FIGURES - go to the strip and get times and terminal speeds - this is your best power comparison between cars.

Er, re read what this was in reply too...

I think you need to just stop, breath, take a look at yourself and ask what your motivation is for trying to pick up on my simple attempt at keeping it realistic.

And why is it, that just because you haven't come accross various calculators with such errors, that they automatically don't exist? There have been plenty of crap ones out there from time to time. Give me a break... The internet wasn't invented yesterday, some people still manage to find some of the most rediculous calculators. I only recently found a pound to kilogram converter that said it was 15.4 to 1.....

Seriously, ever since I pointed out that some manufacturers, engineers and automotive designers use higher ratio in its true, mathematical sense to indicate a shorter gear, you have done nothing but be a pain in the arse to me. And unlike some blokes around here, I don't like anything around my arse, thank you very much.

Yet, I don't show you the same disrespect? There is only 1 person on this forum that clearly has no respect for everyone else, and accordingly gets no respect. I'm not that person.

I have posted quite a bit of helpful, constructive information, encouraged others and sure, had a dig at others as well... On average, I'm no worse or better than the next guy.

So give it a rest please! Take a step back; and breath.

• Member For: 20y 4m 25d

I played around on the computer, and I can get the xr6t to run a 13.2@100mph, the reason the mph is back to 100mph is because of power loss threw the convertor, (4000rpm) the only way I got a 12 was to take wieght out or add power, That said, on a good night down south, it could just sneak in.

David

• Lemming No #5
  • Member For: 19y 10m 29d
I played around on the computer, and I can get the xr6t to run a 13.2@100mph, the reason the mph is back to 100mph is because of power loss threw the convertor, (4000rpm) the only way I got a 12 was to take wieght out or add power, That said, on a good night down south, it could just sneak in.

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your talking standard T in the 12's mate your dreamin

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you are saying is , you know nothing about the drags, (not trying to be nasty)

any car with the power to run 102mph, down the strip, has the ability to run a 12 sec pass, ( with the right convertor, and traction) that said, the weight of the xr6t, loses are greater in the convertor so it makes it harder than most,

if we could get someone to set up a convertor that would lock up under full power, after 60ft (which should be posible) this mph would climb back up to 102mph, maybe even 103mph and should easly pull a 12.

that said it might do it with just the big convertor and street slicks on a good night, it would have to be a good run though.

in fact if you work back from my time of 11.78, @ 114mph (which some time ago some thought was not possible either) and take 12 mph off it, which is around a cost of 12 tenths of a second, and you end up with 12.98sec time. but as I said before it is not always as easy in real life, but it can be done.

I think spiko and others that have spent time at the drags will back me up on this.

also if anyone in Mackay, or townsville wants to set a record I will lend them my convertor to prove this, Hopefully the one that pulled the 13.8 run when I was there would be a good starting point. :msm:

David

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 10m 7d
We weren't talking about driver ability - the discussion was about the potential time any given vehicle could achieve ... DO try to keep up. :laughing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You idiot.

If a car has a 'potential' time to run then it has to factor in all things, including driver ability, traction etc etc etc.

Just ask Spiro.. a mountain of power and (your magic word) 'potential' to run an 8. Has it happened, not yet, why - because all things has to be considered, including breaking components, traction and driver.

Using your paper racer formula, how fast is Spiros' car?? potential 5 second 1/4??

:laughing:

We weren't talking about driver ability - the discussion was about the potential time any given vehicle could achieve ... DO try to keep up. :kissmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You idiot.

If a car has a 'potential' time to run then it has to factor in all things, including driver ability, traction etc etc etc.

Just ask Spiro.. a mountain of power and (your magic word) 'potential' to run an 8. Has it happened, not yet, why - because all things has to be considered, including breaking components, traction and driver.

Wow, 5 sec? might have to strap the rocket on for that one Spiro. :kissmy:

Using your paper racer formula, how fast is Spiros' car?? potential 5 second 1/4??

:kissmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 10m 7d
You idiot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a quick reference to the above mentioned post,

"You Idiot" was in no way intended as a derogatory remark towards 'Turbo6man', it was ment to be in jest, and if offence was taken, it was surely not intended.

:blink:

• Lemming No #5
  • Member For: 19y 10m 29d

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you are saying is , you know nothing about the drags, (not trying to be nasty)

any car with the power to run 102mph, down the strip, has the ability to run a 12 sec pass, ( with the right convertor, and traction) that said, the weight of the xr6t, loses are greater in the convertor so it makes it harder than most,

if we could get someone to set up a convertor that would lock up under full power, after 60ft (which should be posible) this mph would climb back up to 102mph, maybe even 103mph and should easly pull a 12.

that said it might do it with just the big convertor and street slicks on a good night, it would have to be a good run though.

in fact if you work back from my time of 11.78, @ 114mph (which some time ago some thought was not possible either) and take 12 mph off it, which is around a cost of 12 tenths of a second, and you end up with 12.98sec time. but as I said before it is not always as easy in real life, but it can be done.

I think spiko and others that have spent time at the drags will back me up on this.

also if anyone in Mackay, or townsville wants to set a record I will lend them my convertor to prove this, Hopefully the one that pulled the 13.8 run when I was there would be a good starting point. :blink:

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont argue with what your saying. However I did say stock not with slicks and converter, your right about me not knowling alot about the drags however you appear to have some knowlege so im happy to listen :blink:

:spoton: all input is good, and all oppinion's are apriciated, we all can learn something from each other,

it would have to be something special, to beat a 13.8@102mph, from a stocker without any mods at all.