Factory Amp Info

weapon

• Member For: 21y 1m 1d

I am also interested in this as I have an Alpine V12 amp just sitting in the cupboard doing nothing. Can this be a straight swap over or do I need to buy some more bits?

Mick

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 20y 2m 24d

bkofoed,

You dont need to use the ford amp with a line level converter... I also have the wiring diagram.

You would go:

Ford head unit (+noise) ---> line level converter (+noise) ---> Amp (+Noise). The Amp is for the sub only (prem audio)!

I have no evidence but I have been told most hi-inputs on amps are not so great...

I use line level converter and it seems to be working good for me. I have just installed a custom box and 12" sub + sony amp. It looks and sounds great. The box fits neatly into the driver side of the boot and doesnt come out further than the ditch. The box has about 12 faces on it to get all the angles right.

• Gold Platinum Member

XR06T, No the diagram is for the standard cars as well you just ignore the amp and sub lower section, AFAIK.

Also someone mentined using the prem amp power lines to power their own amp. NO! Do not do this. For the little extra work run your own proper power from the battery (with fuse) to the boot. Im not sure how much current the thin crummy ford amp lines can run but its not enough for a decent custom setup. Also if somthing does go wrong (short etc) its easier to diagnose with a single line you ran than fidling thought fords maze of whires and fuses.

• Gold Platinum Member

sykes, Im not sure what you mean my a straight swap over? You dont want to run the factory sub with your Alpine V12 becuase the factory sub is at capacaty im sure... Also it is not a straight swap one reason being what I mentioned above.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 11d

Ahhh amp for sub only. I was thinking that (I havent got in and played around yet). I want to disconnect the standard sub, and use the standard head unit to run a V12 mono channel amp and my bridged subs. My next step is to run my splits using a 2 channel alpine amp. Any explanation of doing this would be appreciated (or direction to a link where it has probably already been done!!!). Thanks fellas

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 27d

veczar, have you done your own amp wiring??

if so where did you find a hole in the firewall?? are the rear seats hard to take out to feed the wire into the boot??

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Platinum Member

Go to the mods section and look at my topic about my new install.

XR06T,

Yes I have done my own electrical. A hole through the firewall can be found with the clutch gromet if you have an auto. If, like me, you have a manual then there is no such free space... So out comes the drill, be very careful and put a wooden block on the engine side so you done spear any precious pipework etc.

The rear seats dont need to come out. Just run your fat guage possitive wire from behind the brakes, past the fuse box, through the door scuff panel (unscrew the two screws and clicks out), then the same for the rear door scuff panel, up beside the seat and under the boot floor carpet into the boot.. walla your there.

IH8PORK,

Use a hi-input from your rear speakers into a "high to low converter" and RCA out to your amp(s). That is the easiest way to go. From one amp run your subs (with lpf enabled) from another amp run normal speakers.

Good luck all....