Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 19d

I've had the centre muffler removed, but actually went for the twin hot dog option rather than straight through pipes as I really didn't want to risk any droning - there have been varying reports from members on this, so beware (some reckon there's no drone, others reckon there is, and that was enough doubt for me to go for the hot dogs). I also have a 3.5" MetalCat and am running about 15-16psi.

I'm a bit older so didn't want a boy racer sound and I'm very happy with how it's turned out. Quiet enough inside the cabin but has a nice sporty note under load. And NO drone! It's actually pretty loud (bordering on obnoxious IMHO, but as I said, I don't like intrusive exhaust notes) on cold start and idle, but settles down nicely after the engine warms up. :spoton:

deadlydave, I also noted that my system was much louder when I first picked it up. In fact, when I first got it back I thought it was too loud, but was told it would quieten down in time (something about carbon build up in the hot dog mufflers). I'm pleased to say it did get quieter, by quite a lot, to a point where I'm really pleased with it. I can't imagine how loud the cars with straight through pipes must be!! :ticketsonself:

• Member For: 17y 3m 19d

bugster70, the car still has the standard cat and rear muffler. Being in the "boy racer" age bracket I suppose I was just looking to make it sound like it had some balls as to me it sounded like a taxi with the stock system. As I said before I like the sound of it but then again I've only been driving around for a day. I'll keep posted about the quitening down but I dont think mine will as I dont have the hotdogs.

Cheers

Dave

• Member For: 18y 6m 28d
bugster70, the car still has the standard cat and rear muffler. Being in the "boy racer" age bracket I suppose I was just looking to make it sound like it had some balls as to me it sounded like a taxi with the stock system. As I said before I like the sound of it but then again I've only been driving around for a day. I'll keep posted about the quitening down but I dont think mine will as I dont have the hotdogs.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Can you give us some more info? I'm in Townsville and thinking about doing this to my phoon. Where did you go and how much? Did they do mandrel bend flange to flange or just cut the muff out and pipe it? Thanks man.

• Member For: 17y 3m 19d

sparksy

I got it done at fast fit on Hugh st near maccas. All they did was cut out the muffler and fit two straight through pipes. Cost me 150 but I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some one to do it alot cheaper. This is until I have more money mod as I'm probably looking at getting a turbo back system in the not to distant future.

cheers Dave

• Member For: 17y 2m 20d

I had the same as deadlydave done to mine. He just cut out the muffler and welded in 2 pipes in replacement at $120 cost. My car is a manual T so it sounds real growly and barky now and noticed a slight kick in the power now (probably also helped by gapping my spark plugs too) and sounds louder. and as I am still a boy racer, the louder the better IMO. Loud turns heads (and some heads belong to coppers too) Im very happy with the result :surrenderwave:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 19d

XF Falcon, sorry mate, but I haven't got any videos/soundclips of my car. :biggun:

And just for the record, I was very much a 'boy racer' myself once upon a time, so I understand exactly where you fellas are coming from! :msm: But with age came a desire for greater comfort, although I do still like a bit of a (non intrusive) note. I think my exhaust note now can best be described as 'purposeful' wihtout being too attention grabbing!

And just in case anybody's thinking of doing it (and I'm sure this has been said many times before), removing the rear muffler would be a big mistake - centre muffler mods are the way to go. :spoton: