Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 29d

the centre muffler mod wont increase power if it isn't the restriction in the exhaust..

im not sure what the restriction is in the na, but if it isn;t the centre muffler it will not help flow any more than the current restriction!

my ffriend made a straight through system for his ed wagon back in the day (no mufflers) and it was pretty loud.

sounded not so good low in the rev range but on full song was very angry!!

do the na's have 2 mufflers too?

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m

As has been stated there is a more restrictive area in the na exhaust system the the muffler assy.

That being the manifold this is where the most gains in the na engines will be gained.

Ian

• Member For: 18y 3m 8d

In the N/A the mufflers are the biggest restriction in the n/a set up of course there is retsriction to from the manifold and cat but the cats are fairly good up to a certain piont of power increase.

The best way to get extra kw with minimal cost is to put a xr6t exhaust on with hi flow cat or even the standard xr6t cat and pacies or extractors of chioce,

I have done pacies to a magnaflow 3 inch hi flow cat into 2.5 inch piping to centre flange and the into a twin2.25 inch xr8 exhaust which is the same as the xr6t and power is up from around 2500 to 3000rpm, all up this has cost me $330.00 best bang for my buck I can tell you the difference is breath taking

I am no expert and it hasnt been dynoed but it feels approx maybe at least between 20 to 30 extra kw.

In my situation the twin set up gives me twice the flow so more power but many have said I would lose down low but doest feel like that happened.

The n/a have a single 2.25 inch pipe all the way.most say go a 2.5 inch single all the way but even a twin standard xr6 or xr8 exhaust would give more flow but at the end of the day each person has there own ideas a things to try so take all advice on board as I learnt alot from forums such as these.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 29d
In the N/A the mufflers are the biggest restriction in the n/a set up of course there is retsriction to from the manifold and cat but the cats are fairly good up to a certain piont of power increase.

The best way to get extra kw with minimal cost is to put a xr6t exhaust on with hi flow cat or even the standard xr6t cat and pacies or extractors of chioce,

I have done pacies to a magnaflow 3 inch hi flow cat into 2.5 inch piping to centre flange and the into a twin2.25 inch xr8 exhaust which is the same as the xr6t and power is up from around 2500 to 3000rpm, all up this has cost me $330.00 best bang for my buck I can tell you the difference is breath taking

I am no expert and it hasnt been dynoed but it feels approx maybe at least between 20 to 30 extra kw.

In my situation the twin set up gives me twice the flow so more power but many have said I would lose down low but doest feel like that happened.

The n/a have a single 2.25 inch pipe all the way.most say go a 2.5 inch single all the way but even a twin standard xr6 or xr8 exhaust would give more flow but at the end of the day each person has there own ideas a things to try so take all advice on board as I learnt alot from forums such as these.

the xrt exhaust is probably the way to go because I dare say youd be able to get them for the same price as centre muffler removal!!

• Member For: 18y 10m 5d

I have got a set of Pacemaker stractors going to standard cat into xr6t twin 2 1/4 the rest of the way.... made a huge difference. Only other think I will end up doing is a 3in metal cat or similar. Great cheap mod specially if you can get a T exhaust cheap !!!

Steve

• Dyno Tuner
  • Member For: 21y 5m 16d
ive replaced the centre muffler with a resonator on my n/a auto - it cost $80 at a local exhaust centre...and as was previously mentioned the gains are non existant and the tone is minimal.

however I'm now booked in for a full system at redcliffe dyno on thursday, should definately see some gains from this.

Happy with your system mate?

Thanks Steve

• Member For: 18y 16d
ive replaced the centre muffler with a resonator on my n/a auto - it cost $80 at a local exhaust centre...and as was previously mentioned the gains are non existant and the tone is minimal.

however I'm now booked in for a full system at redcliffe dyno on thursday, should definately see some gains from this.

Happy with your system mate?

Thanks Steve

yep...unbelievably happy with the system...a big thanks to yourself and your staff, and I'll definately be back for an RDP computer in the very near future. thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 11m 7d

ive got a xr6t ute,an she has a 3 inch exhust,with two mufflers,ive just picked up a 3inch drift muffler,an im going to take one of the standard mufflers out,has any one used a drift muffler before. an should it sound all right ..