Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• MASSIVE MEMBER
  • Member For: 19y 4m 9d
I removed my centre muffler yesterday and it sounds awsome.

I highly recomend it to everyone. I had the whole middle section removed and replaced with manderal bent 2 1/4" pipes.

For all those in WA I recomend going to Exhaust Torque.

Cheers

Adrian

PS I believe there is slightly more responce now also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much did it cost u to do as im looking to get it done very soon?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 20d
Is there any science behind this mod?

More trial and error I think. Seems heaps of members have done this mod and have reported good outcomes as a result (I think some have even confirmed their seat of the pants feel with real dyno results?). But, as you probably already know, apparently trying to do something similar with the rear muffler has disastrous results (losses of up to 20rwkw reported?!).

Although obviously not as good as a full exhaust (especially something the quality of the APS system), I think it's supposed to yield worthwhile benefits (especially if you replace the cat too) for a lot less money and still retaining the stock exhaust look. :spoton:

• T.P.I.S.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 10m 19d
I removed my centre muffler yesterday and it sounds awsome.

I highly recomend it to everyone. I had the whole middle section removed and replaced with manderal bent 2 1/4" pipes.

For all those in WA I recomend going to Exhaust Torque.

Cheers

Adrian

PS I believe there is slightly more responce now also.

How much did it cost u to do as im looking to get it done very soon?

With new pipes that is removable with flanges it cost me $210. All Mandrel and tig welded.

Edited by Adrian6T

• T.P.I.S.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 10m 19d
Is there any science behind this mod?

More trial and error I think. Seems heaps of members have done this mod and have reported good outcomes as a result (I think some have even confirmed their seat of the pants feel with real dyno results?). But, as you probably already know, apparently trying to do something similar with the rear muffler has disastrous results (losses of up to 20rwkw reported?!).

Although obviously not as good as a full exhaust (especially something the quality of the APS system), I think it's supposed to yield worthwhile benefits (especially if you replace the cat too) for a lot less money and still retaining the stock exhaust look. :spoton:

IMO the exhaust itself from factory is good quality (although not stainless)

• Team Velocity
  • Member For: 20y 24d
I'm considering removing the centre muffler on my T, but I'm a bit curious! I would like a nice note from the exhaust, I would like a increase in power, but I don’t what it too loud or to drone through the car.

This subject has been discussed before. What would be nice is some sound files and pic’s of just pipes, pipes with hotdogs and say a high quality free flowing muffler?

I will be doing it just I’m a bit unsure of which option as there seems to be some mixed thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this movie of mine with 2.25 mandrel bends