Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 6m 8d

I have fg f6 had the centre removed sounds means as when your getting up it definitely better than stock I don't really notice much drone maybe a little here and there but your always going to get that sh*t.

Also did this to my xr6 turbo fg but gotta admit the xr6 t sounded better than my f6 no idea why but both sound pretty angry when you give it to them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 10y 6m 8d

Any body want to sell there centre muffler threw mine away and now have decided I want it back in due to getting the venom cat which makes removing the centre muffler 3 times as loud.

PM message me if you do cheers need a fg f6 centre muffler

Edited by kieronf84

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 2m 25d

Sounds like there are mixed opinions on the centre muffler delete. I'm tossing up this option at the moment. My car is going in for a tune next week with the exhaust getting done the day prior at another shop. I'm really after some more noise and at the moment have settled for a 4" xforce catback. The supporting mods I'm getting done are 1000cc injectors, nizpro intercooler, valve springs & tune. What would you guys suggest to get some sound? I have chosen the cat back over the full system to cut costs, ultimately after noise from the exhaust rather then the performance.

The restrictor plate from what I understand will be grinded back in the tuning process, would fitting a hi flow cat make any noise difference? I like the sounds of the muffler removal idea but a few comments have put me off in regards to the car losing power.

Can anyone give some advice on the best cost effective way to get some more sound out of the car?

It would be good cut some costs on the $1650 exhaust and put it towards other mods, such as e85.

Would this be the next step you guys would do performance wise? how much extra power would I get out of the car on top of the other mods being done?

FG XRT by the way

Cheers :)

Edited by xr6tman

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 8m 10d

Hi guys,

The question is for an FG MKII XR6T Sedan. After no success in finding anything for the rear muffler without cutting the stock pipe/muffler, I am after pics of what you guys have done to remove the middle muffler and whole section with the hotdogs in place. Single 3inch or twin 2.5 inch fit? I am only after a little more noise with as less drone as possible, none would be perfect. I have found pics of BA/BF. I am looking for something where the middle section has been taken off completely and untouched (no cutting) and a new section made up so the two are interchangable.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 9m 13d

Hey all,

Came across this today which I thought sounded quite good.

I was under the impression retunes are required for changing anything exhaust wise etc because it could cause over-boosting or something?

Reading the description, I'm not sure if he's referring to fitting a 3" dump pipe or if the muffler removal is what he's talking about with the fitting a 3" pipe.

Anyway was thinking this could possibly be an option if it's safe to do without a tune, just so it has a bit of noise for the time being until I can afford to go all out and buy the flash tuner unit and any corresponding bits.

Edited by m1rkz

• Member For: 10y 8m 10d

As far as I have picked up on this forum you only need a tune if you upgrade the dump and or cat or remove the restriction ring from the cat.

I love the noise of the turbine slowing down in that clip.

Edited by FGMKII

Couple of questions I have;

On the FG ute's, is the cat located up close to the dump or part of the dump?

Looking at the system, mine seems to be running a straight pipe from around where the dump joins right back to around where the diff is, where a muffler (assuming centre muffler that people remove?), is located that splits the single pipe into 2.
As far as I'm aware my car hasn't been previously modified or anything.

Also, anyone know of or can recommend a place in Perth that is good with these?
I'm planning on getting a flanged Y pipe put in, and get the muffler flanged on the end it's not currently flanged on, so that I can change over if I ever have to again or if I get sick of it.

The guys at Monsta Torque(malaga) recommend prestige exhaust

http://www.prestigeexhausts.com.au/

They're not anywhere near me unfortunately, however I do have to get some work done up that way hopefully soon (to fix my fkn door), so could potentially look at sorting something then.

Thanks for the recommendation.