Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• Member For: 17y 9m 25d
I think this is a sign from above, leave it out.

Yeah leave it out, if you want to make a $10K donation to the EPA. I am sure many others will be making donations at the Summernats.

Bad news about your cat, pretty bad timing by the sounds of it. Good luck finding a new one.

• Member For: 18y 7m 28d

well after much thought I have booked my car in for a catback system tomorrow at local exhaust centre. I have gone for single 2.5 inch with 14 inch sports muffler and dual tips. gonna cost $390 inc. fitting

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 19d

Just thought I'd post an update to my previous post on how loud the system is. I was told by a couple of people that the hot dogs would get quieter after time, and to be honest I was a little skeptical about that. :yikes:

However, quieten down it certainly has. It is now noticeably quieter than when I first got this mod done and is down to a level that I am perfectly comfortable with. Still a little noisier on cold start, but nothing like it used to be, a little noticeable under light throttle applications, but still retains a nice bark during more spirited driving. :msm:

I can now understand why those that have done the hot dog (vs straight through) mod may think it's too quiet, but for me it's just about perfect. Nice and rorty when needed and not too attention grabbing for general city driving. :blink:

• Member For: 19y 4m 2d
Just thought I'd post an update to my previous post on how loud the system is. I was told by a couple of people that the hot dogs would get quieter after time, and to be honest I was a little skeptical about that.  :yikes:

However, quieten down it certainly has. It is now noticeably quieter than when I first got this mod done and is down to a level that I am perfectly comfortable with. Still a little noisier on cold start, but nothing like it used to be, a little noticeable under light throttle applications, but still retains a nice bark during more spirited driving.  :msm:

I can now understand why those that have done the hot dog (vs straight through) mod may think it's too quiet, but for me it's just about perfect. Nice and rorty when needed and not too attention grabbing for general city driving.  :blink:

I agree mate. I took a quick video (using a proper camcorder this time) to show the sound, but its like 90mb :msm: buggered if I know how to make em smaller!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 8m

just wondering if anyone out there has had there centre muffler removed from the xr6 turbo. if so what have they put there and does it drone. I hate that drone on the freeway. has it helped performance and the note of the car?

• Member For: 20y 4m 25d

leave the centre mufler and change the cat, this will be a 11 sec exhaust, I don't like the mufler removed, and I recon it drones. but just as many will like it for a bit extra note. best to go for a drive in someones car that has done it and deside for your self. but remember it is done for noise not power.

David

• Member For: 18y 2m 16d
just wondering if anyone out there has had there centre muffler removed from the xr6 turbo. if so what have they put there and does it drone. I hate that drone on the freeway. has it helped performance and the note of the car?

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18022

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 10m 7d
There was a performance ford mag a while ago called "The forced induction handbook" It was a compilation of small articles that were published in many high performance imports magazine. They bought a series one ba xr6t ute and modified it, this was before the tune flash tuners were around so a piggy back system was used, and various mods were done. They removed the centre muffler and replace with a straight thhrough piece of pipe, with a gain of approx 10-15kw as previously stated, and when tested still came under the the max legal db reading so there is no reason not do this mod, its cheap, effective and according to the magazine legal.

Replacing a middle muffler with straight through is illegal.

You must replace it with either another middle muffler or hotdogs.

As for 10 - 15kw.. tell him hes dreaming.. Anyone can fudge a dyno to make a mod look good.

I just fitted my factory centre section back in, and will compare on what exactly is to be gained when I remove it next week...

Without any fudge!!!