Handbrake Adjustment - Help

cro142

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 17d

My dealer wanted to sting me $80 as well. I'll go down to SuperDump today and buy the tool and give it a go.

Adam

• god bless my kids
  • Member For: 20y 5m 28d

they done it but I refused to pay it on the grounds my car only travelled 9000km

• Member For: 20y 11m 17d

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I feel I am now armed with enough info to give it a go this arvo.

It sounds like it is a job best left to the dealer, but the trouble is I need to have it right before tomorrow morning, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

Peter

Edited by cro142

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members
But before you even try to adjust it at that point you have to set the inside adjuster at the handbrake lever to be right off ie. undo the nut right to the end of the thread.

I've spent like an hour looking for this adjustment nut inside the car, but can't find anything that resembles what it should look like. Any ideas what panels I have to take off, or if there is an easy way to get the handbrake lever boot off? I've gone and gotten my adjustment tool from SuperCheap, and will just give the wheel adjustment a go now I think.

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I feel I am now armed with enough info to give it a go this arvo.

It sounds like it is a job best left to the dealer, but the trouble is I need to have it right before tomorrow morning, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

Peter

How are you coming along Pete??

Well, here's the story:

Put the car up on jacks, removed the wheels, and removed the rubber grommet on the face of the disc. So far, so good.

Trouble was, I could not find an adjuster wheel in there to work on...

My son had the rear wheels off his NL Fairlane, so I removed the rubber grommet from one of his discs - and sure enough I could clearly see an adjusting wheel in there for the handbrake shoes. So, even though the rear brake systems of both the BA and the NL look identical from the outside, there must be an internal difference. Damned if I could find an adjuster wheel on the BA.

Dead end it seemed.

While crawling around under the car, I found the handbrake lever cable adjuster. It is located up above the big muffler in front of the axle, just beside the tailshaft.

It's not very easy to get to, but possible.

(Goose, this answers your question above).

I did an adjustment on the cable length, and that has fixed the problem, at least temporarily.

Edited by cro142

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members

Hey bud I went one step further than yourself. Got the grommet off and couldn't find the adjuster wheel, so thought bugger this, and I ripped the disc off as well. Just undid the 2 main caliper nuts and it came off (with some force). see attached pics.

The first pic the bottom arrow shows the adjuster wheel, and top arrow show the access hole that the grommet lines up with. Either Ford have an extra special adjustment tool, or they take off the disc's as well.

Second pic shows me actually adjusting the handbrake.

post-194-1109479293_thumb.jpg

post-194-1109479336_thumb.jpg

Ripper, Goose - you've done it !!

I can see now why I could not see the adjuster wheel through the hole.

I actually did try to remove the disc - I took the caliper off, but could not get the disc to budge. I whanged it as hard as I dared, but it was rusted on solid.

Anyway, now we know how to do it.

Cheers,

Peter

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members

Yeah I had a pretty hard time getting the disc off, it was just that the drum brake was applying pressure to it. It had to come off perfectly even.

I only did the one side, and it was way too much effort. I might just shop around and find the cheapest dealer to adjust it for me properly.

Adam